Coyote or Cross?

red neck richie

No, domestic dogs do not show up wolf DNA. None. 0%. They show domestic dog DNA, unless it is a wolf/dog mix. Dogs and wolves are related, but their DNA is completely distinct and identifiable, just like we don't show chimpanzee DNA, even though our DNA is similar to it. Most eastern coyotes show all three types of DNA-coyote, wolf, and dog. Again, this is not me saying this. This is the verified and repeated findings of scientific studies on eastern coyotes. They apparently interbred with wolves and dogs on their way here. Even now, the red wolf restoration program in eastern NC is failing badly, partly because the wolves and coyotes keep interbreeding. They turned red wolves loose here in western NC for many years, too. And according to many scientists, a red wolf is nothing but a coyote/gray wolf hybrid to begin with.

And again, deer, coyotes, and various species of wolves have lived together here on this continent for hundreds of thousands of years. The only thing that ever wiped out the deer was people, not natural predators. And yotes spread east because of a combination of natural migration due to habitat change and an empty predator niche, and direct transport and release by humans.
I really could care less about their dna but to say that the only thing that ever wiped out the deer was people is nonsense.

Comments in link contain profanity so it doesn`t conform to Forum rules.

red neck richie

Apparently the link I posted had some prohibited words in it. But there have been countless research done on how coyotes have a direct correlation to fawn survival rates. Especially on an unbalanced or over populated areas. In fact Yellowstone's elk heard is down with the repopulation of wolves. As I'm sure you know there is no elk hunting in Yellowstone.To say they have no effect is just not accurate.

Last edited:

Hillbilly stalker

There was a pretty good study on that at the Bamberg bomb plant 3 or 4 years back. I think it was like 76% mortality rate from coyotes alone. Cameras and radio collars were used.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
There was a pretty good study on that at the Bamberg bomb plant 3 or 4 years back. I think it was like 76% mortality rate from coyotes alone. Cameras and radio collars were used.
The other takeaway from the bomb plant study was that aggressive trapping of coyotes (number in the hundreds in the study area) had little or no measurable effect on fawn predation by coyotes as the rates remained pretty much the same. Small radio beacons were inserted into pregnant does and the beacon activated with the fawn drop. Efforts were made to immediately respond to the birth site where often recovered was evidence of the fawn's death by coyote confirmed by saliva dna analysis on the remains. Gil

GLS

The other takeaway from the bomb plant study was that aggressive trapping of coyotes had little or no measurable effect on fawn predation by coyotes as the rates remained pretty much the same. One of the lead participants in the study was the son of the late James Kilgo, UGA professor and author (Deep Enough For Ivory Bills). Gil

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I really could care less about their dna but to say that the only thing that ever wiped out the deer was people is nonsense.

Comments in link contain profanity so it doesn`t conform to Forum rules.

How do you get that? There were plenty of deer here until we killed them off for market hunting in the late 1700s-1800s.

Whitetail deer have been here for hundreds of thousands of years with a lot more predators than we have now, but never had a problem until we started slaughtering them wholesale. After restocking efforts and protection of does, the deer numbers rebounded. With liberal doe harvests in the last couple decades, the numbers are dropping again. Predation plays a part in that, but it is not the major factor.

We are the major predator of deer. Period. Between hunting and cars and habitat loss, we kill way more deer than everything else combined. Coyotes and other predators can have an impact, especially if the deer population numbers are low or the habitat is marginal. But if natural predation is killing off the deer, there is another problem with them to begin with.

Over thousands of years, whitetail deer in the southeast have outlasted the saber-toothed cats, scimitar cats, American lions and cheetahs, jaguars, dire wolves, timber wolves, red wolves, and mountain lions that have preyed on them all that time. They are still here when all of those are gone. And they always thrive until humans overkill them, especially the does. If deer ever go extinct, it will be because of humans, not because of coyotes.

red neck richie

How do you get that? There were plenty of deer here until we killed them off for market hunting in the late 1700s-1800s.

Whitetail deer have been here for hundreds of thousands of years with a lot more predators than we have now, but never had a problem until we started slaughtering them wholesale. After restocking efforts and protection of does, the deer numbers rebounded. With liberal doe harvests in the last couple decades, the numbers are dropping again. Predation plays a part in that, but it is not the major factor.

We are the major predator of deer. Period. Between hunting and cars and habitat loss, we kill way more deer than everything else combined. Coyotes and other predators can have an impact, especially if the deer population numbers are low or the habitat is marginal. But if natural predation is killing off the deer, there is another problem with them to begin with.

Over thousands of years, whitetail deer in the southeast have outlasted the saber-toothed cats, scimitar cats, American lions and cheetahs, jaguars, dire wolves, timber wolves, red wolves, and mountain lions that have preyed on them all that time. They are still here when all of those are gone. And they always thrive until humans overkill them, especially the does. If deer ever go extinct, it will be because of humans, not because of coyotes.

I agree with everything you said here. I'm not saying humans don't have the biggest impact. I'm saying that coyote's have an impact as well. Look at the research done in Yellowstone with the gray wolf and the decline in the elk heard.

Last edited:

JohnK

Just sayin'....I can remember when lots of Georgia had very few deer and no coyotes or wolves. Man, we didn't have doe days and then years of 2-4 days. I'm talking of being in clubs where grown men have hunted 10 years and never seen a wild deer in the woods. Coyotes did not kill off the deer because there weren't any coyotes.

GLS

There is a school of thought that advocates the theory that coyotes migrated across the Mississippi River eastward in dog boxes transported by humans to be released in fox pens for humans to hunt and that the humans didn't anticipate the cunning of coyotes to escape from the pens. Gil

HossBog

All I know is if I was on my stand and that thing came by and had no collar, I'd do my best to kill it. I've never seen a co-yote when hunting though.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
All I know is if I was on my stand and that thing came by and had no collar, I'd do my best to kill it. I've never seen a co-yote when hunting though.

That is my question....... do you kill this one?
I’d prolly Hesitate too long trying to make sure it’s not a big dog..........:confused: