Carp spawn ?

centerpin fan

Are you bow fishing or just fishing?

If it's the latter, you can catch them regardless of whether or not they're spawning. They're probably much easier to catch when they're not spawning.

General P

Are you bow fishing or just fishing?

If it's the latter, you can catch them regardless of whether or not they're spawning. They're probably much easier to catch when they're not spawning.

I'm just fishing, the reason I like spawn fishing them is two fold. One, I have a nice big creek bottom that feeds into lake lanier behind the house. And two I know exactly where they are . I don't know much about carp patterns during the year, but I wouldn't think they will be in the shallows like that any other time during the year, right ? If so then yeah I'll try them out all the time.

Also since the carp and crappie come up in the shallows around the same time you think they will be mingling together in the same area ?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
No, carp and crappie spawn in different types of areas. Carp usually like grass, weeds, or shallow sandbars. And unlike crappie, they don't usually bite much while they're spawning.

General P

No, carp and crappie spawn in different types of areas. Carp usually like grass, weeds, or shallow sandbars. And unlike crappie, they don't usually bite much while they're spawning.

Yeah that sounds like behind the house. When the lake is high it's underwater, when the lake is low is just a creek and in the summer usually grows up with grass. Then when it floods again it turns into swamp. Got lots of beavers back there too. And the carp love it for spawning.

centerpin fan

I'm just fishing, the reason I like spawn fishing them is two fold. One, I have a nice big creek bottom that feeds into lake lanier behind the house. And two I know exactly where they are . I don't know much about carp patterns during the year, but I wouldn't think they will be in the shallows like that any other time during the year, right ?

I've been fishing for carp for about twenty years, and I have no idea when they spawn. To me, it's just not an important factor. IMO (and as noted above), you'll be much more successful if they're not spawning.

You can find carp in the shallows year round. It sounds like you've got a great spot for them. Just fish corn on the bottom, and you'll find out pretty fast if there are any carp around.

Klag

Carp are indeed spawning in creeks of Lanier. After no success at Wahoo with the crappie I pulled into the shallows to get out of the wind (I'm in a kayak) and I started seeing jumping fish everywhere. At first I thought it was bass busting small shad or bream near the banks but after a while of watching - I saw a few jump all the way out of the water and got a good look. DEFINITELY carp. I pulled into the shallows and could see them shallow. I keep corn with me for situations like this and threw a few lines of corn out for about an hour without success. So they were definitely in the area and not eating corn, so they were surely spawning.

I love catching carp too, but don't have much luck during the spawn.

Klag

It did seem a little early for the spawn... maybe pre-spawn.

Carp spawn when the water temp, water level and daylight hours are just right. They can spawn again in the fall if all 3 conditions are just right in the fall for extended periods of time.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Usually late April here, but I saw a few in the grass flats on Clark's Hill last weekend.

kirby999

Back when I was bow fishing them , I always heard the peak of the spawn was around Mother's Day . Kirby

needmotime2fish

When the carp are in spawning mode, there are usually some that are actively spawning, but others in the area that aren't quite ready yet. The active spawners don't bite, but you might have some success with the others - the ones that haven't begun spawning yet. I'd fish the spawn just because there are a lot of active fish in the area. SOME of them will probably bite, even if many of them won't.

Klag

When the carp are in spawning mode, there are usually some that are actively spawning, but others in the area that aren't quite ready yet. The active spawners don't bite, but you might have some success with the others - the ones that haven't begun spawning yet. I'd fish the spawn just because there are a lot of active fish in the area. SOME of them will probably bite, even if many of them won't.

Good info, never thought about it like that!

General P

We caught some good ones two weeks ago but haven't be able to get back there since.

Do you think they will be back there all year round. It's a swampy / grassy shallow area with a small creek running into it. With a large family of beavers using it as their personal oasis.

2. Would this also be a good place for the bream spawn ?