Striper Guys???

ChadF821

Have any of you had trouble with split rings pulling off. I hung one this afternoon and the fish was pulling hard and the drag was doing its job ,then slack. Reeled the lure in and rear hook was gone. I have changed hooks and split rings. I feel at war with these stripers and there winning the battle for now. I am determined to win this war. Any helpful tips would be appreciated. Thanks

KKrueger

Academy has some cheap jigging spoons that I like but you have to upgrade the split rings or they just pull apart. On cheap baits especially it's worth upgrading the rings.

Flaustin1

Change split rings and give them more drag. We went through a hook breaking problem yesterday. Just part of it sometimes.

Tmpr111

I've been using some older Wolverine rings, not sure where I got em, but I'm certain they're online or around somewhere... I've never had that happen with one - but it's happened numberous times on stock stuff.

Are you fishing in SW GA?

jerseycat9

What kinda lure was it? I can help. I don't need brand or color just style

jerseycat9

These are the best that I've come across. I've tried owner hyper wire split rings SPRO split a few others and even bought a few brands from japanese tackle sites that claimed 50lb test + ratings and they've all fell short in one way or another.

The mustad kvd stainless steel split rings have never failed me even to the point the lure will fail and you lose hooks by the actual wire being ripped out of it. Some of the other brands become deformed after you have put them on with split ring pliers but these hold their shape well.

Last edited:

ChadF821

Its nothing in my opinion that tops the topwater bite! I see a purchase of some terminal tackle very soon. Thanks for all the suggestions.