bad for deer hunters also

hambone76

The roads in my lease just got scraped and widened three weeks ago. A new road was also cut back into a big stand of 30 year old pines.

Elkbane

Don't confuse LUMBER prices with TIMBER prices. Lumber prices are up a little right now, but the sawmills have not passed on those increases to timber producers in the form of higher timber prices. They are keeping the increases for themselves to improve mill profitability.

If you are seeing increased harvest activity, its likely due to the age of the trees; they have reached economic maturity - not because of improved timber prices. Sawtimber prices are at 20 year lows across the South, including Georgia. Largely due to plenty of supply relative to demand.

ELkbane

davidhelmly

Don't confuse LUMBER prices with TIMBER prices. Lumber prices are up a little right now, but the sawmills have not passed on those increases to timber producers in the form of higher timber prices. They are keeping the increases for themselves to improve mill profitability.

If you are seeing increased harvest activity, its likely due to the age of the trees; they have reached economic maturity - not because of improved timber prices. Sawtimber prices are at 20 year lows across the South, including Georgia. Largely due to plenty of supply relative to demand.

ELkbane

I spoke to the landowner of my lease this morning and he was telling me the same thing, several loggers that he works with have called it quits and gone out of business.

bilgerat

Senior
They just cut our neighbors property and the pines were only about 20 years old, no where near big enough to make lumber, mowed it down to the dirt.

Fishin & Hunting

Lumber and panel prices are up because demand is up and supply is down. A lot of lumber facilities were shut down for good with the crash. It will take a while for supply to come up.

Davans

There is a lot of cutting going on right now due to pine Beatles.

Elkbane

There can be any number of economic or non-economic reasons to cut timber. The only one who knows is the person selling the timber. If your neighbor or your lease landowner cuts his timber, he probably has a reason and the only way you'll know why is to ask him (or her). Maybe he'll tell you, maybe he won't. It's his asset to do with as he pleases.

There have been a lot of "early" timber harvests in east central Georgia last year and this year in response to the Ips beetle epidemic caused by last year's drought. Ips beetle is typically what you see in response to a lightning strike where 3-4 trees around the strike brown up and die. With the drought weakening trees last year, whole stands of pine got hammered with Ips beetles and in some cases it was severe enough where the economics warranted liquidating the whole stand and starting over...

Here's the Georgia Forestry Commission news release on it:
http://www.gfc.state.ga.us/resources/media/2-9-17 GEORGIA'S DROUGHT USHERS IN BEETLE OUTBREAK.pdf

ELkbane

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
It is good for the deer and the deer hunters but humans are naturally resistant to change or should I say rapid change since change is constant.

rance56

It is good for the deer and the deer hunters but humans are naturally resistant to change or should I say rapid change since change is constant.

so you are going to stay on a piece of property and pay 5-6 bucks an acre to hunt something that is entirely cleared cut to the ground?

transfixer

so you are going to stay on a piece of property and pay 5-6 bucks an acre to hunt something that is entirely cleared cut to the ground?

First off,,, where can you lease land for only 5 or 6 dollars an acre in Ga ? :huh:

clearcutting can be good so long as there are mature woods or woods with underbrush surrounding it, if the entire lease is cut then that poses a problem, that usually wouldn't happen unless its a very small lease, we currently only have 366acres, and they usually cut 50 to 100 acres at a time, staggering cuts about every 5 years or so. We had about 50 acres clear cut 3yrs ago, and another 70 or so select cut 2yrs ago, we have about 100 acres of mature 25yr old trees that we'll probably lose in the next couple of years.

rance56

the 5 to 6 bucks an acre is what timber companies are getting for land that has been completely clear cut. ive seen personally mulitple instances recenlty where 50% or more is being clearcut at a time, and the vast majority of the land over a few year period. about the only time a lease comes available nowadays on the heals of major cutting being down on the tract.