.450 Bushmaster bolt action

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Has anyone tried it yet? Ruger has a couple 16" rifles...thinking about it for my Swamp Thumper. Short range but lightweight.

I usually see deer within 50 yards...I am not worried about the range limitations of the cartridge.

shdw633

I just bought one for hunting in Michigan. I couldn't find anything or anyone that would say anything bad about the rifle. Super lightweight and I think it will be great for hunting out of a ground blind due to it's overall length. I am taking it up to shoot in the next couple of weekends. I bought the gun in Michigan after talking with a couple of owners who said the gun is deadly out 300 yards with a rest. You are only allowed to hunt with shotgun, muzzleloader and straight walled cartridges with limits and this gun fits those limits. Only downfall I see is the limited production on ammo as only 2 manufacturers make the ammo and I could only find the Hornady cartridges on the store shelves.

shdw633

Yea, those Yankees have some crazy hunting laws. Curious which model did you get?

I got the Bushmaster Ranch for $399, I wasn't paying another nearly $500 for a wood stock and didn't want to spend the nearly $1000 for the single shot. Not what I would call the prettiest gun in my gun safe but looks like it will be a lot of fun to shoot!! I called all my dealers down here in Florida and couldn't find the rifle down here and all the big box stores were at least $50 higher so I bought it up there.

shdw633

I am assuming Ruger. Yea that looks like a great value. So, you are happy with the accuracy and handling. What about recoil? What does it compare to?

Yes, a Ruger, sorry about that. Very happy with the guns accuracy and it has the same punch as a twenty gauge.

Rich M

I picked up a Ruger M77-357 and absolutely love it. 5# rifle, 2-7x33 Viper scope and any deer within 100 yards is dead. NO recoil to speak of, little muzzleblast. Gun shoots about an inch at 100 yards.

Most of the time it is a bang/flop kind of dead when using XTP 158 gr flat points. When I tried 180 gr Swift A Frames, they plowed thru and the deer ran about 75 yards. I like the shock & awe of the 158's dropping them.

I imagine the .450 and even the .44 mag rifles would have even more shock & awe. Ruger makes a nice gun.