; Septic Tank Pumped - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > On Topic -- Questions and Answers

Old 02-13-2018, 07:14 AM
Default Septic Tank Pumped

What is the recommendations for having your septic tank pumped? We have lived in our house for 13 years and never had it done. We are currently not having any issues that I am aware off. Just curious, I really didn't think you had to have them pumped unless there was issues. I know if I contact a company, they are certainly going to recommend it, but just looking for other opinions.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:28 AM

I was told by the geniuses on this forum that they never need to be pumped. I disagree with their genius advice and have mine pumped every 6 years. That's just my personal preference and it runs about $350-$400. It's also good to have them inspect it. This April will be 12 years so I'm due for another.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:25 AM

I just had mine done at 20 and now consider it pretty stupid. No problems but....... Next time will do it at 6 or so. It's just 2 of us so that does make a difference. If you let the drain field get messed up you start spending thousands pretty rapidly. I would recommend 3 to 5 years if there are kids in the house.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:32 AM

As a former owner of a home with a septic tank, the first time you flush your toilet and see it come back up at you, you will wish you had paid $350 to have it pumped every 6 years or so....

Now that was with an older serrated pipe type of drain line like the standard ones used in the 70's and 80's...you quite possibly can go longer with the newer systems. I am sure there is someone on here that can intelligently give you better information on those.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:21 AM

Just had mine pumped after ten years and the technician recommended that I have it done every five years for a household of two people.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakajak View Post
A monthly dose of activated bakers yeast will keep your septic tank bacteria growing and eating the solids.
More important than pumping
Old 02-13-2018, 02:10 PM

I guess the purpose is to remove the crust from the surface.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
A monthly dose of activated bakers yeast will keep your septic tank bacteria growing and eating the solids.
it depends on how the house is plumbed and the detergents used for dishes and washing machine. If you are plumbed for all gray/black water to go to the septic system, you may be killing off any bacteria faster than it can grow with your detergents and such.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE GA Pappy View Post
it depends on how the house is plumbed and the detergents used for dishes and washing machine. If you are plumbed for all gray/black water to go to the septic system, you may be killing off any bacteria faster than it can grow with your detergents and such.
^^^^^ for sure.
No antibacterial soaps or bleach should ever go into you septic tank.

I prefer 2 gallons of cultured buttermilk down the pipe annually instead of commercial yeasts.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:10 PM
Swamp Yankee

Quote:
This right here,,,, we have a dry well,,,, for the Grey water,,,,
Old 02-13-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I call it cheap insurance.Sort of like drinking organic vinegar as a probiotic.
yep.

but it can also be wasted time and money if you are pumping antibacterial soap down the drain. And most of the pump type hand soap dispensers, that is what you are doing.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:42 PM

I have lived in my home for 21 years and had mine pumped twice. Where I live it is only twenty to thirty feet above sea level. Each time we had very wet weather. The tank would not drain.Last time it cost 300 bucks. If it dont need pumping leave it alone.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:42 PM

Bottom line...
A septic tank requires a layer of bacteria to operate efficiently.
If you put anything down the drown that kills bacteria, you are defeating the purpose.
Then you have a holding tank that needs to be pumped.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:08 PM

I lived in the 3 bedroom, 2 bath house I sold, for 15 years...I bought it new. Realtor wanted it pumped before we put it on the market. The guy that pumped it said it was barely 1/2 full. Family of 1 male and 3 females....fwiw.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Second this information. The boxed bugs will help but it is a good idea to have the system pumped before you need it rather than after.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:02 PM
GON Severe Weatherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappyHoel View Post
I was told by the geniuses on this forum that they never need to be pumped. I disagree with their genius advice and have mine pumped every 6 years. That's just my personal preference and it runs about $350-$400. It's also good to have them inspect it. This April will be 12 years so I'm due for another.
Yep, every 6 or 7 years is the rule of thumb.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:41 PM

Hmm, I maybe just found part of the reason we have had to pump off annually; anti-bacterial soaps..
That and 100% is going to tank, I reconfigured in '08 to carry all grey and black to tank and drain field. I may have to re-reconfigure and go back to the dry well for the grey water.

We've also had a particularly wet couple years and that can't be helping.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:46 PM
GON Severe Weatherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneB View Post
Hmm, I maybe just found part of the reason we have had to pump off annually; anti-bacterial soaps..
That and 100% is going to tank, I reconfigured in '08 to carry all grey and black to tank and drain field. I may have to re-reconfigure and go back to the dry well for the grey water.

We've also had a particularly wet couple years and that can't be helping.
We use Ridex regularly to keep bugs in it, but we're still due to have it pumped this year. You just can't trust them bugs anymore.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:32 PM
Default tanks

need pumping about ever 5-6 years
will save in the long run
we had ours done after the girls left for collage
make sure they pull the cover pump and clean and recover
no back hoe need
A1- NATIONAL in Buford was good to us
good luck
chestnut
Old 02-13-2018, 09:49 PM

Our family of 5 just moved into a house with 4.5 bath on a septic. We are constantly running the dishwasher and washing clothes due having 3 boys. We were advised to pump every two years.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:28 PM
Retired Moderator

One thing that contributes to field line saturation is washing clothes improperly. It does not require that the washer to be set on super size load to wash three shirts that you donít need cleaned for another week.
Thatís 80 gallons of water into your field lines unnecessarily.

I was told I could take over the laundry any time I wanted.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:09 AM

Mine went about 30 years and I had it pumped for the heck of it.
Tech said it was perfect, Worry more about the drain field.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:17 PM

I think they say the scum on top can build up so thick over time that it can cover the bottom of the tee leaving the tank and somehow get into your drain field. Pumping removes this top layer of scum and the sludge in the bottom.

I can see pumping it for preventive maintenance but it usually doesn't help to pump it if your house isn't draining. Many times one has his tank pumped only to have it fill right back up and the stoppage shows back up.
If you have flow into your tank but not out of your tank it's usually the drain field that isn't working properly or the pipe leaving the tank to the drain field.
Modern designs have a distribution box in the drain field design. I'm not too familiar with them or if any maintenance is required.

Back when I made my own beer I always poured the yeasty dreggs down the toilet. Now I wonder if yeast helps the bacteria in a septic tank. Maybe a live bacteria you could add once a year.
I know they make drain enzymes that eat grease. I can see where bleach could kill of some of the bacteria.
We disconnected our washing machine from the septic tank. Mainly because my wife was washing a lot of diapers. It was filling up the drain field in a really bad wet season. Had the septic tank pumped. The tank was fine. Never had to redo the drain field either.

I have noticed that those little packs of yeast are expensive. I'm not sure what Ridx cost. Six years of Ridx might work out to what a pumping cost.

Back in the day my Dad had about 20 rental houses. I've helped him hand dip a few septic tanks. We hand-dipped the one at the home place a few times as well. Used a paint can screwed to a pole and a wheelbarrow. Put the stuff in the garden. Grew nice tomatoes.
We mainly removed the crust to check the inlet and outlet tees. We needed the level down to do so. It usually pointed us in the direction of the drain field being stopped up.

I don't remember any of these tanks ever having over about 6" of scum on top. I'm sure we didn't clean the sludge out form the bottom. Pumping would take care of this sludge.

It never looked like the contents of the tank messed up the drain field. The scum never blocked the inlet or outlet. It turned out to be a lot of manual labor necessary only to verify flow. Liquid was the only thing leaving the tanks.

It usually always required drain field work or replacement. I'm kinda mixed on how well pumping actually does. It's not that big of an investment to pump it every 6 years though. Maybe add some type of bacteria to it after you pump it and disconnect the washing machine as others have pointed out.

Drain fields not working? I guess as time passes they just don't drain as well. Sediment, settling, etc. Roots can sometimes be a problem. Maybe some aren't installed properly. They used to use short clay pipes with gaps between the pipes. Then they used corrugated plastic pipes full of holes. Rocks poured under and on top of the pipes. Now they have pipes wrapped in foam pieces. That looks like a good idea.

Last edited by Artfuldodger; 02-14-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:39 PM

we re pump every 10.....we do have a ''relief" cap about half way to the tank we can pop off if it backs up.....
Old 02-14-2018, 02:56 PM

A lot of good septic tank info in this thread.
One thing I will add that I haven't seen mentioned:

The only thing worse on a septic tank than teenage females is a garbage disposal.
Never use a garbage disposal if you are on a septic system.