Etowah River Mining Tunnel

FishingAddict

Im leaning more towards running from the Weinman Dam to 411 and Camping at Euharlee. Im a history teacher so Im more interested in the historical things along those stretches. Im just hoping it doesnt rain too hard to cause the river to be too much trouble.

The river on the lower section of the Etowah below the T Weinman dam is either slow and easy or hauling like crazy.
It's either running at around 225 cfs or 4,500 cfs.

It's controlled by the Army C of E- when they generate, the river is 4-5 feet higher and moving faster than I can paddle (unless you are right on the bank, but I have no intention on being on the river when there is that much speed/volume). If you plan on being on the river when they generate, the good news is that there is no rapids- the water is well over any mid river rocks. I'd just worry about not clipping a downed tree on the side of the river and getting pinned, which is typically the way most drownings go for those who can swim.

You can call 706-334-7213 and find out what the schedule is. Typically they don't release on weekends during the spring and summer, but they may when the lake is high and needs to be drawn down. They don't release the schedule but one day at a time, but more often than not the schedule they set up on Monday will be generally the same (plus/minus an hour) up until Friday.

It's a pretty stretch of water, with much history. I meet someone wondering around on my property there one day who was looking for artifacts. He picked up 2 pieces in minutes. I would have never recognized them, but apparently they were pieces of rock that were not native to the area that were dropped by the native americans there.

Let me know if you need any other help via PM, I don't check the site that often.

FishingAddict

Oh, one more thing. Once they start releasing water at Allatoona dam, it takes a little under an hour to get to the T W dam. It rises fairly suddenly. Once they shut it down, it's a longer process to see the water recede. It might be three hours for the water to get back to normal, but it becomes more manageable in about an hour and 45 minutes.

Oconostota

Banned
Word to the wise, down below. Try putting a 20' Ski Barge on a trailer, on the ramp right below the concrete structure that impounds Lake Allatoona (the GON sub G-rated word filter calls me a potty mouth for using the 3-letter word for that concrete structure - hello...any sensible folk running this site?).

You get one, just one shot to load such a powerboat on a trailer. Stab it, steer, hope and hang on. Either you load it right, right-quick-like, or something gets broken).

Sooooo, that's why I have yet to get on the river on my SUP when they're generating. As a long-time whitewater kayaker, would I be absolutely safe? Yup (but only because I recognize real hazards when I see them). Might I miss the exact spot at the takeout, and be in for a real adventure? Probably. Would it be worth the excitement? Maybe.

If you wanna run it, please be sensible and safe, and DO NOT be listed on the weekly DNR report via email. Please.

The river on the lower section of the Etowah below the T Weinman dam is either slow and easy or hauling like crazy.
It's either running at around 225 cfs or 4,500 cfs.

It's controlled by the Army C of E- when they generate, the river is 4-5 feet higher and moving faster than I can paddle (unless you are right on the bank, but I have no intention on being on the river when there is that much speed/volume). If you plan on being on the river when they generate, the good news is that there is no rapids- the water is well over any mid river rocks. I'd just worry about not clipping a downed tree on the side of the river and getting pinned, which is typically the way most drownings go for those who can swim.

You can call 706-334-7213 and find out what the schedule is. Typically they don't release on weekends during the spring and summer, but they may when the lake is high and needs to be drawn down. They don't release the schedule but one day at a time, but more often than not the schedule they set up on Monday will be generally the same (plus/minus an hour) up until Friday.

It's a pretty stretch of water, with much history. I meet someone wondering around on my property there one day who was looking for artifacts. He picked up 2 pieces in minutes. I would have never recognized them, but apparently they were pieces of rock that were not native to the area that were dropped by the native americans there.

Let me know if you need any other help via PM, I don't check the site that often.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
Reviving this, I have seen posts saying this run is better at 4-5 ft, right now it 's at 4 ft and 4,200 cfm the earlier posts saying 350cfm was the max is confusing me. aslo i need float times and takeout points The points that i have seen are hwy9, 53, castlebury rd., kelly bridge, river park, ga 136. what would be the best float to fish and do the tunnel, Thanks

SASS249

Castlebury Bridge to Hway 9 is about a 4-5hour run, and pretty good fishing. This is the classic trip for the tunnel section.

Not sure what gauge you are looking at. The Dahlonega gauge is currently at around 3.4 and 250cfs. Note: cfs not cfm

Fishing is better on the section through Dawson Forest ( Kelly Bridge Road to Hway 9) and is also about a 5 hour run.

If you look here: http://www.etowahwatertrail.org/interactiveMap.php there is an interactive map of the entire river showing mile by mile various features and the known launching sites.

Last edited:

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
yes some one gave me a link to a different gage. I am not familiar with this area, can these trips be combined, and are there any places to camp nearby?. Ok I have been looking everywhere for info and have seen about 2 portages. one below 53 and one below 9, also if we float to kelly bridge can we camp in dawson forest and how long will this add to the float? Thanks

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
Thanks for the link
Castelbury to 9 is 16.4 miles
9 to kelly bridge is 9.1 miles
does this sound about right, i guess the 5 hr float time for both accounts for the better fishing in dawson forest?
I still did not see any portages on any of the marks on the map in the link though

My understanding is that the interior drop was caused by them tunneling in from both ends, attempting to meet in somewhere in the middle.

Considering when that was done, and the technology available then, I think they did pretty darned good meeting with just a minor misalignment, after blasting through a whole bunch of rock.

For anyone who paddles, it should be on their "bucket list"! Heck, I've been paddling well over 20 years, and still want to run it one day. Not so sure I'd want to run it on my SUP, though. :D

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
me and some friends will be going on the 13th, I believe we can camp in dawson forest along the river from what i have read.

SASS249

Your mileages are about right. I checked my logbook and for the tunnel section we usually do Castlebury to 136 and that is a 5 hour trip if you fish. I suspect it would add another 4 or more hours to go all the way to Highway 9.

Highway 9 to Kelly Bridge is about 9 miles and a 4-5 hour float time is about right.

Most of the land along the river is private (even the mining tunnel is actually on private land). I also understand you can camp in the Dawson Forest area also, but never have.

Hope you have a good trip and be sure to let us know how it turns out.

Yes, once you get way below the tunnel, into Dawson Forest, you can camp anywhere in there (per my conversation with a game warden, fairly recently). Just not in any wildlife openings (they will be marked as such), or blocking any road or gate (not likely if camping via canoe or kayak).

Klag

Well, that's about the coolest thing I ever seen in my whole life! Glad someone bumped this old thread for the newbies like me!!

I really want to do this float too! It's mostly shoal bass fishing right? My friend has done the tunnel section and made a you tube video. Actually a lot of folks have done youtube videos on this part. Its looks pretty cool and unique.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
I really want to do this float too! It's mostly shoal bass fishing right? My friend has done the tunnel section and made a you tube video. Actually a lot of folks have done youtube videos on this part. Its looks pretty cool and unique.
I am all in. anyone that want's to go let me know. I have floated that section but did not get to do the tunnel.

Latest posts