Electronic call suggestions...

davel

Well we knew we had yotes but Sunday was an eye opener. Sitting at the table eating dinner and see a young coyote running through the yard without a care in the world.
We have never hunted coyotes before so any help would be appreciated.
Looking for a good electronic call with a remote that is around $100 or less plus a decoy you would recommend.
We live out in the country and won't have any real long shots <100 yards...unless we hunt a hay field.
Thanks for any advice you can give.
Dave

wright2739

I would also like to hear others thoughts on this. I bought a cheap hand held and it works but I found it brought the dogs attention straight to me. I ordered a Alfa Dog a couple of days ago and a decoy when I get a chance to use it I will let you know how it works and if I like it. But from the little bit of reseach I did seemed to be the best bang for my buck.
I was cutting one of our horse pastures and had 3 yotes come out to the tractor a couple of weeks ago. They stayed long enough for me to make a lap run in the house and grab a gun get back out to the pasture. Needless to say I was able to put one in the dirt. Ended up shooting 3 that weekend. All while mowing fields and tractors running all over the place.

Tider79

Personally, I haven't had much luck with the cheaper callers. If your budget is firm at $100, I'd suggest buying some mouth calls. If you can spend $175 to $200, I'd go with the basic Foxpro models, Spitfire or Wildfire. Check Cabela's, Sportsman's Guide, etc.

Regarding Wright2739's comments, the coyotes were probably attracted to the tractor noise because they have learned that bush hogging flushes rats, mice and rabbits. I have a friend who always carries a rifle when he bush hogs for that reason.

Scrapy

Banned
Just by a cd or cassette and open the doors on your truck. I always have dog fennel patches and stand on the dogbox.

ol mike

Buy a tiny fishing reel -tie line to a wad of feathers or a squirrel/rabbit skin to the top of a bush , use a hand call for 20-30 seconds -then twitch the decoy skin/feathers for a minute or two.

I have two foxpro's its about knowing how to set up -not so much the sound.

Then call a trapper or learn to trap.

Beginner callers advance the coyote population , and will never help cut down their numbers.
Calling use to be a secret trick that worked but now it trains coyotes as to what the sound is. You may kill one here and there but you will educate numerous coyotes that will train their pups not to run in to the sound , but there is always a dumb hard headed young pup that will run in for a bullet.
Every single person in our hunting lease has a cheap caller that they will turn on and play for the coyotes but nobody has ever killed one of them in the 4 years I've been in the lease.

wright2739

I am new to this type of hunting I stoped deer hunting years ago because of it causing fights in the family. All the hunting I do is on family property. I have always tried to shoot yotes when I seen them. I bought a cheap hand held caller and it works but I found it brings there attention directly to me holding the caller. So I have ordered a new caller with a remote and a decoy to draw there attention away from me. I have found that I don enjoy this type of hunting. It is a nice change from how I us to deer hunt. Any advice on hunting yotes will be greatly apperichated. I don't want to train them to not come to the caller. We can not trap on the land ether not going to go into details but had a family member catch one of my uncles dogs and well there will never be another trap used on the land. I have now learned from talking to out neigbors that there is more of a problem then I first thought. One neigbor has lost sevarl calves another has lost 2 horses to coyotes. So we have the coyotes what is best way to kill them and get the numbers down as I said traping is not a option.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I bought a fox pro 2 weeks ago and killed a yote 2nd time I went and I'm a beginner so it can be done. Give it a try, it sure was fun I even had a 10 yr old with me

wright2739

I can now say that I like the Alfa dog caller from permo's. It works well and is loud I also like the preloaded sets. I am using it with a sit and spin decoy. I have only been out with it twice but both times using the fawn in distress I had deer come to the caller. It was neat watching those deer try and figure out what the decoy was and do the stomp deal and blowing at it. No coyotes with the caller yet but I am happy with it.

JohnK

Deer will come to the rabbit distress too. If I ain't getting some deer and hawks in an area I'll drag up and move.

Scrapy

Banned
I was cutting one of our horse pastures and had 3 yotes come out to the tractor a couple of weeks ago. They stayed long enough for me to make a lap run in the house and grab a gun get back out to the pasture. Needless to say I was able to put one in the dirt. Ended up shooting 3 that weekend. All while mowing fields and tractors running all over the place.[/QUOTE
When I get serious low on venison I take my tractor and bushhog around in a thicket where I can oversee it from a stand. I get my son to meet me and take the tractor on back to the house. My success rate is about 75% within 30 minutes ,though it might be a big doe. They just can't help it.