Oglethorpe County 2014

Todd E

Turkey season is about over. Here is a new thread for those that hunt OC.

Time to bait hogs.
Time to shoot yotes.

Triple C

Good luck on both fronts! Just got to where we tolerate the hogs. Tired of wasting bullets on the darn things. Think next project is gonna be one of those pen style hog traps to see if we can herd a bunch of em up at once. If you see this one roaming around on your place shoot him and post a pic.
black yote.jpg

Hog eating out of "hog proof" feeder...
Hog eatin from feeder.jpg

Nice boar that came too close
Brooks Boar.jpg

Looking forward to another good year of hunting in Oglethorpe County!

frdstang90

Went down last Saturday and filled feeder, put out a couple more mineral blocks and pulled card out of camera. I have had camera out since the first weekend in May and had over 1800 pictures. Mostly hogs:banginghe:banginghe:cry::cry:.I had our first fawn show on camera last Thursday.

Triple C

Headed to farm tomorrow. Put out cameras 3 weeks ago. Looking forward to checking cams and progress on soybeans n sunflowers. Will post a few pics when I get back on Sunday.

Triple C

Oglethorpe Feed & Farm Supply

Picked up 500 lbs. of the deer feed the guys at Oglethorpe Feed & Farm Supply custom mix. 18% crude protein in pellet form plus whole corn, molasses and other goodies. (Should've taken a pic of the label but didn't think about it.

Put feed out at 4:00 yesterday afternoon...Didn't take long for this buck to come calling...bout 3 1/2 hrs later. Deer feed in this plot daily so I knew they would find it but didn't expect them to hit it this quick.

Got tired of spending money on protein pellets that deer just never seemed to take to that much. Hat's off to the good folks at OF&FS for creating a great protein blend that brings em in immediately!
Buck at feeder.jpg

Buck at feeder II.jpg

Buck at feeder III.jpg

Buford_Dawg

That stinks

Neighbors dog? Saw a fawn yesterday on my club, about stepped on it. It was several weeks old, I imagine, ran off pretty good. Hopefully, mom was close by.

Todd E

OF&F store brand is some good stuff at a reasonable price. Bad thing is.....when they run out, they run out. Then have to go back to bigger brands.

I've been seeing fawns in woods and on cams.

Triple C

Neighbors dog? Saw a fawn yesterday on my club, about stepped on it. It was several weeks old, I imagine, ran off pretty good. Hopefully, mom was close by.

Not sure if it was neighbor's dog. Only house in area that has dogs is a family that lives on 5 acres surrounded by large landowners including me. His land doesn't touch mine but comes close enough where dogs would certainly run on our property. Last year we had a group of feral dogs that hung out for a short period in the summer. Will see if we catch this one on cam again. Guess I'm more worried about yotes than dogs at this point but this pic certainly raised my eyebrows.

Triple C

OF&F store brand is some good stuff at a reasonable price. Bad thing is.....when they run out, they run out. Then have to go back to bigger brands.

Think I may stock up this coming weekend if that's the case. :biggrin2: We can't get the deer to take to the Purina deer pellets without adding corn. Then they seem to brush the pellets to the side for the corn. Only had their brand out for a day but it sure didn't take long for the deer to start using it!

Arrow3

Picked up a new track to hunt near the house recently....I drive by the place all the time and it looks real good with a lot of thick bedding area. I never have seen anyone there so I looked up the owner on the tax assessor website and googled their name and address to get a phone number. Called the guy up and he said I could hunt it anytime I wanted to . He lives a hour and half away and said he hadn't even been up to the property in a couple of years. I scouted it as best as I could being as thick as it is and found a lot of sign. Fresh droppings and trails everywhere as well as good rubs from last season. I did find where a trespasser had sawed the limbs off of a pine tree to use a climber but it only looked to have been hunted a time or two. There is a house nearby through the woods and there was some guys living there last season so I assume that's who it was but they have moved now. If nothing else it will give me a place to shoot my "meat " does and leave my does on my lease alone for buck candy...:D

frdstang90

Went down Saturday after work to do some bushhogging and pulled my cards out of the cameras. Here is a doe that looks to me like is a piebald. What do you think?

Attachments

• piebald.jpg
    piebald.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 1,906

Arrow3

Yep. She's got a little more white then normal.

Triple C

frdstang...Nice pic! Don't know if I could loose an arrow at that beauty. Wishing you and all the OC hunters a fabulous fall season immersed in God's creation down in OC!!!

frdstang90

frdstang...Nice pic! Don't know if I could loose an arrow at that beauty. Wishing you and all the OC hunters a fabulous fall season immersed in God's creation down in OC!!!

Thanks, I have already told my son that she gets a free pass. Good luck to you as well.

Triple C

How's everyone's land/leases/hunting areas shaping up in OC?

We're shooting a few pigs, seeing more fawns than last year and have a good crop of bucks hanging out this summer.

Triple C

How's everyone's land/leases/hunting areas shaping up in OC?

We're shooting a few pigs, seeing more fawns than last year and have a good crop of bucks hanging out this summer.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I'm on the same lease with Arrow3. It is DRY down at the Flatwoods club !!!! It is so dry that the catfish are getting ticks ;) they wanted some of my permethrin homebrew but I wouldnt share.