Sink flies, HELP!

Rivershot

I have an invasion of what I call Sink Flies, they are about the size of nats. I have had them at times in the past as probably most people in the south have.

This time is different. I found the original source last week and have kept everything super clean and wiped down, trashcan outside, vinegar cups set out, vinegar in the P-traps etc….

What else can I do for these little boogers? How long is the life cycle of said boogers? They are everywhere, not just a few around the sink drain.

Thanks.

T-N-T

I got some once and went to Tractor Supply. They sell an aerosol spray that kills fling insects just by spraying into air. Works great.
Tan and white can. Had a pic of a fly and other bugs on it. stinks bad though. Spray and leave the room.

T-N-T

Country Vet CV-80D its called

GoldDot40

I used to have a roommate that smoked. She knew I didn't like cigarette smoke, so she thought she was doing me a favor by sitting on the doorjam with the door standing wide open. Well, after a week or so, I was infested with the same type gnats or whatever.

I bought some aerosol pesticide specifically for flying insects...including gnats and the alike. I fogged the air everyday for a few days and made sure the doors stayed closed unless someone was walking in or out. They disappeared fairly quickly once the air was doused in the spray.

Rivershot

Country Vet CV-80D its called

Thanks for the advise, I'll be at TSC first thing tomorrow.

The only thing I found at the local hardware store was a fogger, and we have to many inside critters (pets), and also an all wood interior. I had a customer with similar walls and a fogger stained the ceiling.

Todd E

Referred to as fruit flies.

Take a cereal bowl and place Apple Cider Vinegar in it. To that, ad a drop of dawn dish detergent. Leave the bowl sitting on counter beside sink.

georgiadawgs44

My mom had what she thought was sink flies in her house about a year ago. She thought they were coming from the drain in her kitchen sink. After battling them for a month, we found an old bin in her basement that had an open dog food bag that was half full of dog food. The bin and area around it was covered with flies as well as a webbing material. We got rid of the bin and thought the problem was solved. The flies continued and she was very frustrated. I went looking for an additional source in her garage/basement and found that they had also been feeding on an old rattlesnake skin that I had left hanging there 20 years ago. After I threw out the skin, the flies disappeared. I think there must be a food source for them to be there. that's what it was in her case anyway. Nothing ever bothered that skin in all those years. I hated to throw it out but they ruined it.

shakey gizzard

Take a cereal bowl and place Apple Cider Vinegar in it. To that, ad a drop of dawn dish detergent. Leave the bowl sitting on counter beside sink.

With out a pic , I agree fruit fly! Elliminate the food source!

bigelow

Executive Chef at Billy's Bistro
Yup sounds like fruit flies. We had a banana we let over ripen for bread. And they got to it before we did.

Rivershot

The Dawn does make a difference and with some spray I think we are winning, for now anyway.

Thanks for the help guys.

Artfuldodger

Drain flies (also known as "moth flies" or "filter flies") are a common nuisance in/around homes and commercial buildings, including sewage treatment plants. Adult flies may become so numerous indoors that they congregate at windows, around light fixtures, and around showers, bathtubs, sinks and floor drains. They can annoy people sitting indoors or outdoors. Since these flies often originate in unsanitary conditions, there is the possibility of disease transmission that can affect human health.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/notes/Urban/drainfly.htm

How To Get Rid Of Drain Flies
Drain Fly Identification
Drain flies are small flies, about 1/8th inch. They are usually black, but may be brown. The key identifying trait for this fly is the unique pattern of veins in its wings.

Drain Flies are also called moth flies, sewer flies or filter flies. Their bodies and wings are covered with numerous hairs. If crushed they leave a powdery smudge.

The flies are commonly found around drains, but they should not be confused with the Fruit fly, Phorid fly, or Sphaerocierid fly which also infest drains.

These flies typically breed in drains, hence the common name of drain flies. This is a good place to begin inspection. They live off debris in the form of a humid film on the drain sides and in the drain trap. If you use something like a knife to scape the sides, you can examine the sludge for live larvae.

Place some tape over the top of drain, with some holes in it for air flow. If the drain flies get stuck on the tape as they exit the drain, you know you have drain flies.

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/drainflies.htm