The best way to avoid back pain? Lift heavy things

sinclair1

I cured my back issues with squats and sit ups, but if you want to treat yours with watching TV, feel free :flag:

NOYDB

BANNED
I cured my back issues with squats and sit ups, but if you want to treat yours with watching TV, feel free :flag:

Dr. told dad he was missing some muscles in his back. A family thing, all his brothers had back problems. All the males in this side of the family are affected. Two of my female cousins have lower back problems. I've had my back go out twice. I had to learn how to protect it. Going slow and using good form allowed me to do what I wanted.

Just my observation, but keeping control of yourself and not getting rushed keeps you from injuring yourself.

The times it happened were horrible. I've heard females say it's worse then childbirth, by a little. But only by a little. Gave me a lot, a lot, of respect for mothers.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I've got deteriorated discs and I've framed houses my whole life. I have to be careful lifting heavy stuff. Laying around makes my back hurt. Usually I can "work" the pain out. I've got an inversion table for the bad times

ryanh487

I worked at a pet store in college. Carried 7 gallon jugs of pre-mixed saltwater and multiple 30 lb bags of dog food at one time to customer's cars several times a day, as well as unloading pallets of dog food 2-3 bags at a time twice a week. My back is so screwed up I think I'm one improper lift away from slipping a disk and I'm only 30.

Cobra

I've got deteriorated discs and I've framed houses my whole life. I have to be careful lifting heavy stuff. Laying around makes my back hurt. Usually I can "work" the pain out. I've got an inversion table for the bad times

Same here. Have to keep moving or pay a hefty price for laying around. Should have payed more attention to my smarter elders. Too late now.:mad:

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
The stronger your core is, the less back trouble you'll typically have. That doesn't negate improper lifting, or lifting too much. Build your core muscles, and your back will thank you.

Oh, and lose that extra 15 to 20 lbs around the middle, too.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Doing physical therapy right now. Back pain is no joke.

Yep. February '17 I wound up on all 4's in the den at 3am telling the good Lord to take me now. Been going to a chiro and a massage therapist for over a year now. I'm almost back to normal.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
The best way I have found to avoid back pain from heavy lifting is to call on a younger dumber person to do the lifting.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
The best way I have found to avoid back pain from heavy lifting is to call on a younger dumber person to do the lifting.

"Work smarter not harder." :bounce:

Redbow

Ha, ha, ha...Yes indeed I agree..As an older man I have surely had my back problems but much less so when I was able to keep myself in good physical condition. Usually a younger not necessarily dumber person is eager to show what he can do so now I let them show me. BTW, I used to be one of those younger dumber fellows..

j_seph

For those with back pain:
My mom fell in the house Tuesday and got a compression fracture of her L1 vertebrae. I have been reading about this quiet a bit over the last few days. Her pain is way less today then it was Tuesday. Some of the stuff I have read was sort of shocking. I read that only 1/3 of compression fractures in the back are ever identified as the cause of back pain. Folks go in with back pain, they do an x-ray and just attribute it to getting older or pulled muscle. Reason being that a lot of compression fractures are not seen via x-ray but can be seen with cat scan or mri. So if you have back pain especially in the lower to mid back this could be the cause of your pain. She was sent home to let it heal on its own, no brace (braces actually do more harm than good as muscles get weaker). Follow up in 2 weeks with neurosurgeon to make sure it is healing okay.

NOYDB

BANNED
For those with back pain:
My mom fell in the house Tuesday and got a compression fracture of her L1 vertebrae. I have been reading about this quiet a bit over the last few days. Her pain is way less today then it was Tuesday. Some of the stuff I have read was sort of shocking. I read that only 1/3 of compression fractures in the back are ever identified as the cause of back pain. Folks go in with back pain, they do an x-ray and just attribute it to getting older or pulled muscle. Reason being that a lot of compression fractures are not seen via x-ray but can be seen with cat scan or mri. So if you have back pain especially in the lower to mid back this could be the cause of your pain. She was sent home to let it heal on its own, no brace (braces actually do more harm than good as muscles get weaker). Follow up in 2 weeks with neurosurgeon to make sure it is healing okay.

Best wishes for your Mom.

oldfella1962

I never had back issues other than a badly curved back (not scoliosis that's side-to-side mine is curved front-to-back) but it doesn't limit me. Agree squats are a good back/leg exercise if done properly and safely. I do 50 pound kettlebell goblet squats wearing a 30 pound ruck. Not a lot of weight I know, but I go super deep so it's still pretty effective. Sit ups? Did my share in the army - I don't know if they are a great back exercise but I've never heard of anyone throwing their back out doing them, so they are about as a safe an exercise as you can get. They are mostly for your hip flexor muscles & abs. Granted if you did them with straight legs instead of bent legs it might be bad for your back because the leverage would be different.

Agree sitting in front of the TV is no help at all.

pbradley

At age 24, I took a C6 transmission from a Ford pickup and picked it up off the floor and set it on the tear-down bench, fluid and converter included. My boss was walking by and told me, "you only get so many of those in your lifetime."

I am 52 today, and he was right.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Yeah I'm real sure that is what will cure every person with back issues. Maybe I'll go cut and load pulpwood every day and be cured :rolleyes: