Another snake ID

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
What kind do ya`ll think this is that I caught a few minutes ago? Right at 6 feet long.

Attachments

• meanie.jpg
    meanie.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 443

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Looks like an oak, but the body is blurry.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Gray rat/oak snake. An unhappy one that wants to lay the teeth to you as soon as you let go of it. :)

SGaither

Gray rat. Great picture clarity by the way. Really shows off the wonderful markings and marbling of its face. Also good to show the round eyes of a non-poisonous snake.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Rat/oak snake... The one's I've come across seem to be somewhat calm after I handle them for a minute or two. The never even attempt to strike. Have you had this same experience? 8 out of 10 snakes I find around the house are rat snakes.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Rat/oak snake... The one's I've come across seem to be somewhat calm after I handle them for a minute or two. The never even attempt to strike. Have you had this same experience? 8 out of 10 snakes I find around the house are rat snakes.

The big black rat snakes we have here can range from completely calm to black mamba attitude. I've sprung many leaks over the years messing with them. :)

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Yea, it`s an oak snake (gray rat snake). This one turned into Mr. Hyde right quick.