Anyone ever have Balut??

Dixie Dawg

And here I thought escargot was bad.... I believe I'll take escargot over this!!!!! :hair:

Balut
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A balut (or Hột vịt lộn in Vietnamese) is a fertilized duck egg with a nearly-developed embryo inside that is boiled and eaten in the shell. They are considered delicacies of Asia and especially the Philippines, China, Cambodia, and Vietnam. Popularly believed to be an aphrodisiac and considered a high-protein, hearty snack, baluts are mostly sold by street vendors at night in the regions where they are available. They are often served accompanied with consumption of beer. The Filipino word balut roughly translates to mean "wrapped".

Balut are most often eaten with a pinch of salt, though some balut-eaters prefer chili and vinegar to complement their egg. The eggs are savored for their balance of textures and flavors; the broth surrounding the embryo is sipped from the egg before the shell is peeled and the yolk and young chick inside can be eaten. All of the contents of the egg are consumed. In the Philippines, Balut have recently entered higher cuisine by being served as appetizers in restaurants: cooked adobo style, fried in omelettes or even used as filling in baked pastries.

Balut-making is not native to the Philippines. A similar preparation is known in China as maodan (Chinese: 毛蛋; pinyin: máodàn; literally "hairy egg"), and Chinese traders and migrants are said to have brought the idea of eating fertilized duck eggs to the Philippines. However, the knowledge and craft of balut-making has been localized by the balut-makers (mangbabalut). Today, balut production has not been mechanized in favor of the traditional production by hand. Although balut are produced throughout the Philippines, balut-makers in Pateros are renowned for their careful selection and incubation of the eggs.

Fertilized duck eggs are kept warm in the sun and stored in baskets to retain warmth. After nine days, the eggs are held to a light to reveal the zygote inside. Approximately eight days later the balut are ready to be cooked, sold, and eaten. Vendors sell cooked balut out of buckets of sand, used to retain warmth, and are accompanied by small packets of salt. Uncooked balut are rarely sold in Southeast Asia. In the United States, many Asian markets occasionally carry uncooked balut eggs, though their demand in North America is not very great. The cooking process is identical to that of hard-boiled chicken eggs, and baluts are enjoyed while still warm.

Duck eggs that are not properly developed after nine to twelve days are sold as penoy, which look, smell and taste similar to a regular hard-boiled egg. In Filipino cuisine, these are occasionally beaten and fried, similar to scrambled eggs, and served with a vinegar dip.

The age of the egg before it can be cooked is a matter of local preference. In the Philippines, the perfect balut is 17 days old, at which point it is said to be balut sa puti ("wrapped in white"). The chick inside is not old enough to show its beak, feathers or claws and the bones are undeveloped. The Vietnamese prefer their balut matured from 19 days up to 21 days, when the chick is old enough to be recognizable as a baby duck and has bones that will be firm but tender when cooked.

Balut is also the name of a Danish Dice game played by expatriates in many countries all over the world, particularly in Asia. The name of the game has been taken from Balut eggs. Games are organized monthly by IBF (International Balut Federation) members.

Attachments

• 180px-Balut_Egg.jpg
    180px-Balut_Egg.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 294

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten
Nope, never even had the urge to try it when I was in that part of the world.

stev

Banned
Good groceries .It aint all that bad.They eat them in europe every day.

StriperAddict

I was in the Phillippines in 86 and would never touch it...

:eek:

LJay

Retired Mod
UUmmmmm, wonder if the Ol' Colonel is gonna add this to his menu?????

Watcher

That brings back some memories of the little old lady squatted down on a street in Saigon, smiling with her three shiny black betel nut stained teeth with a half eaten uncooked and very smelly balut. Another sight and smell that stays in your memory that doesn't seem to leave.

fussyray

My wife is fixing me eggs right now! THANKS:( :( :(

franklinm

Nope I was in the P.I. & NAM heard the vender's selling them and ask what they were ,
When I found out , I was sure I did not want that .
In the P.I. they use chicken's . when done you can use the beak to pick your teeth . Not me .

Handgunner

Aaaaaawwwww, just pour some hot sauce over it and chase with an ice cold Miller Lite and you'll be in business!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Only if I`m starvin`...........................................and I ain`t never been that hungry yet!!! :bounce:

Re-tired

Smell!!!

I'm with "Watcher" on this one, a smell you never forget!! From the time you got off the plane untill 3weeks after you leave getting it out of your nose. Dixie Dawg, for the real strong at heart try kimchi (burried cabbage) sorry didn't mean to rave. (must have been a flash back):bounce: :bounce:

Last edited: