To eat or not eat Barracuda and some other thoughts on kings, snapper etc.

Jimmy Lee Armel

Hey guys and gals. I have been getting a lot of questions on all social media and phone calls about eating cudas, so here is my take on it.

People probably have heard that they carry ciguatera. Ciguatera is a foodborne illness caused by eating certain reef fish whose flesh is contaminated with a toxin made by dinoflagellates such as Gambierdiscus toxicus which live in tropical and subtropical waters. These dinoflagellates adhere to coral, algae and seaweed, where they are eaten by herbivorous fish which in turn are eaten by larger carnivorous fish like barracudas, and even omnivorous fish like basses and other fish like mullet. This is called biomagnification. Affected fish may show no sign of infection or, in more advanced cases, will be weakened and visibly thin, with yellowish eyes. As well, fish may be pale or a different color than usual. From my understanding it is not found in our waters.

I always tell my clients that I won't send them home with anything I wouldn't feed my momma and I have fed her lots of cuda. Everyone I have had try it really does like it. I've even gone as far as slipping in tacos to some nay sayers and they loved it. It has more of a steaky feel to it like cobia and I prefer it blackened or fried.

You target these fish just like a kingfish or trophy spanish. Live bait on a stinger rig with the drag set at less that 10 pounds. Troll at idle speed and watch the air sho they put on. If you are trolling the wrecks targeting kings keep the bait on the surface, if you want cudas, drop the downrigger (unless they are spawning then the kings will be deep off the structure) and keep dragging . We were hand feeding them off the back of the boat last week. It was a blast.

I read in a thread this morning about people angry that some people can keep red snapper and others can't. Instead of crying of spilled milk, try to target what we are allowed to keep and become proficient at that. When the fish that the govt wont allow us to keep (and let's be honest thats why most are mad) open up we will have the skill set necessary to capitalizing on these no no fish. I don't see very many limits of sea bass posted on here. If you can't catch a sea bass you can't catch a snapper.

As always if you have any questions please let me know and if you get a chance give me your thoughts on the cuda video I posted. We are thinking of starting some instructional videos as well so let me know how I can make them better and what ya'll wanna see. Gearing up for fall so lets get ready for the best fishing of the year.

Riplukelee

Amen and Amen. Give me a calm enough day and I'll show you a limit of black sea bass ... probably my favorite fish due to ease of cleaning and sweet meat a'fryin!!

Scallen

We are thinking of starting some instructional videos as well so let me know how I can make them better and what ya'll wanna see. Gearing up for fall so lets get ready for the best fishing of the year.

Thanks, Jimmy. I would love to see some instructional videos for fishing the Georgia coast. There are not a lot on You Tube, and most actually explain very little.

In most I have seen, they will say "we are using this, that or the other rig - now watch us catch fish". What seems to be left out on nearly all of them is explaining what the fish are doing, when and why. What are the seasonal movement patterns? What will they do on incoming or outgoing tides? What kind of water or structure do these fish prefer? What do they normally feed on and how can we imitate that? With this kind of information, people can go find fish of their own.

Jimmy Lee Armel

Thanks, Jimmy. I would love to see some instructional videos for fishing the Georgia coast. There are not a lot on You Tube, and most actually explain very little.

In most I have seen, they will say "we are using this, that or the other rig - now watch us catch fish". What seems to be left out on nearly all of them is explaining what the fish are doing, when and why. What are the seasonal movement patterns? What will they do on incoming or outgoing tides? What kind of water or structure do these fish prefer? What do they normally feed on and how can we imitate that? With this kind of information, people can go find fish of their own.

Ok. There isn't much for our region at all and a lot of stuff I read makes no sense half the time. I will start playing around now that I have time and see what we can do with it

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Last months Tybee vacation I ate Cuda Tacos at bubba's.
They were absolutely outstanding!!!! Loved em!!!!!
It was the 1st time I ever ate cuda.