whos the best at sharpening?

sawtooth

I once shot a doe with a field point and it zipped right through her and she piled up 80 yards from where she was hit. The blood trail was as good as any I've ever seen. I was planning on shooting an armadillo under my stand when a small group of does showed up and in my excitement I failed to put a broadhead on the string. Not very responsible of me, I admit, but it proves a good point. I didn't even realize what I'd done until I pulled the arrow out of the dirt on the dead side of the deer. That was over 25 years ago.
When I started shooting trad bows in 1999 I talked to a fellow named Robert Carter on the phone and he told me how to sharpen broadheads. I've always used heads that I had to sharpen myself, I've never used a pre-sharpened head with trad bows. I'm sure that there are guys with way more experience than me, but I've knocked over a few big game animals. I've averaged about 5 deer per year since I started shooting a traditional bow back in 2000- and a pig here and there- 22 big game animals in one year back in 2015 I think it was- every one of them with a file sharpened broadhead, finished with a strop. Like I said before, all I need for my broadhead to do is poke two holes and so far the way I sharpen my heads has worked out fine for me. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Todd Cook

I haven't killed as many critters as Dendy or Martin, and nowhere close to the number RC's piled up. But I've killed several with file sharpened heads and know how effective they are. To say otherwise is silly. I file them to a burr and lightly strop them till the burr breaks off. They will cut you BAD. And they will stay sharp in your quiver.

I think filed heads get a bad name by people that don't really know what they're trying to accomplish. If you get a quality head filed straight to the edge it will do some awful damage.

Clipper

I haven't killed as many critters as Dendy or Martin, and nowhere close to the number RC's piled up. But I've killed several with file sharpened heads and know how effective they are. To say otherwise is silly. I file them to a burr and lightly strop them till the burr breaks off. They will cut you BAD. And they will stay sharp in your quiver.

I think filed heads get a bad name by people that don't really know what they're trying to accomplish. If you get a quality head filed straight to the edge it will do some awful damage.

I had my heads shaving sharp two weeks ago using my Lansky sharpening system. Put them in my bow quiver and have been toting them around for several hunts and practice shooting. I tried all three this afternoon and not one of them would cut a hair. Guess I need to learn to file sharpen if they will stay sharp with that method.

Hillbilly stalker

Most are carbon steel. A fine coat of rust that you can barely see will form on the sharpened edge. You can simply pull it backwards against your jeans or pants leg like a stroke and Walla ! Good as new.

Rich Kaminski

After sharpening I use a flat leather strap to remove any unseen burrs. They will shave hair off your arm.

Mudfeather

another trick is used to keep mine sharp..I wear a leather arm guard to keep my sleeves out of the way but I coat it with silver polish and I always have a leather strop with me

devolve

so back to original question........

"Who can I ship them too with a quick turn around to get sharp?"

I gave it another go, with a file and with a lansky system. I now have 5 broadheads that are 100% worthless to hunt with. I can rub my finger down each blade and not get cut.
I don't want anymore tips because they don't work for me. I want a person who is willing to sharpen them for me. I will pay you,

thanks

Stump Shooter

devolve I have used a Rada wheel sharpener and it works great, sounds like you have nothing to lose and it only cost around $8. This would also be quicker than shipping them off to someone else to sharpen, and once they get dull you can resharpen them yourself. I know something so cheap sounds to good to be true but it works and puts a good edge on a broad head.

SELFBOW

devolve I have used a Rada wheel sharpener and it works great, sounds like you have nothing to lose and it only cost around $8. This would also be quicker than shipping them off to someone else to sharpen, and once they get dull you can resharpen them yourself. I know something so cheap sounds to good to be true but it works and puts a good edge on a broad head.
That's all I ever use!

eman1885

Where the heck is jasperGA? If you are anywhere near Athens, stop by with your bow, we can shoot some, maybe have a taught, if that's your thing, and I will sharpen your heads. I know I can, cause I have some grizzlies of my own...they will take the hair off your arm with ease when I'm done. PM me if you are interested

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member

Wouldn't the Rada sharpener ruin a single bevel?

Stump Shooter

I am sorry thanks for clearing this up, was not paying attention. I "CAN NOT" get the Rada sharpener to work very well on a single bevel head, but it has sharpened everything else I have tried it on.

longbowdave1

I just picked up a four pack of Rada sharpeners delivered to the door for 22$. I never heard of them before, just tried one out on my pocket knife and it did a great job of sharpening. I'll have to try it on the Eskimos next...

Thanks for the tip.It will be a great help in my pack. I'll give one to my brother, and one to my son also.

devolve

I just picked up a four pack of Rada sharpeners delivered to the door for 22$. I never heard of them before, just tried one out on my pocket knife and it did a great job of sharpening. I'll have to try it on the Eskimos next...

Thanks for the tip.It will be a great help in my pack. I'll give one to my brother, and one to my son also.

let us know how it works! it sounds like its easy on a double bevel