Help for a beginner...

davel

My wife and I would like to buy our own saltwater rod & reel to go fishing with our daughter and son-in-law in Florida.

I know all about freshwater fishing but very little about saltwater.

Can anyone recommend a good all around reel & rod for snapper, grouper, etc.??

I have a Shakespeare Ugly Stik BWB 1160 6.5' Heavy Action rod I bought at a yard sale a few years ago. I would like to buy a reel for it. My wife will need a rod & reel.

We won't be going after anything too big I suspect...nothing way off-shore like tuna or marlin.

Any help/advice you can give would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Dave

grouper throat

I like the Penn GTI series. We use the 320s and 330s for bottom fishing. You get levelwinds and a decent gear ratio for an economical price. We fish at least 8 of these on various rods (Penns, Fin Nors, Carrot Stix, Ugly Sticks, and some customs).

With rods, you are on your own. If it's got a fast tip, I like it for snapper and for grouper it really doesn't matter to me as long as it's got plenty of backbone.

Parker Phoenix

Go to BPS and look at the Captains Choice line . I fished one of these while on a friends boat and was pleasently surprised.

crackerdave

I like Penn reels,too.

You won't find a better buncha folks for helpin' somebody than you'll find here on Woody's! Paul D has a good "sticky" thread at the top of this page where you can find a lot of real good info in one place.

Good luck in Flardah- I wish I was headed that way right now,and get away from this weather!

Limitless

There is no perfect rod for salt (or fresh) water fishing, of course, and everyone has ideas of good set ups. For me, the closest thing to a rod that works for all kinds of salt water fishing - bottom for grouper, snapper, etc; in shore for trout, Redfish, snook, etc.; and off shore for everything from dolphin to sailfish - is a Shimano Trevala Jigging rod, 6'6", medium heavy power, medium fast action, and rated for 50# - 100# braid; paired with a Shimano Saragosa 8000 spinning reel, spooled with 50# test braid.

While a little overkill for inshore, it will still cast a 1/4 jig with a gulp shrimp for Reds or trout, and I have boated keeper grouper and last summer a 53" Cobia with it. It is more expensive (the combo will run about $300 spooled on sale), but this rig will do it all and the Shimano quality means it will last forever.

I am a Penn guy as well and have a heck of a lot more Penns than Shimanos, but if I was going to only have one all around outfit it would be this one. If you do want to go more economical, go with a Peen Slammer reel on the Shimano rod. You could get into that for around $200. Good luck and post some pics of those trips you all will be doing!

davel

Thanks for the tip Limitless!! I will definitely post pic's when we/if we catch something. We will be going down to FL in late Feb. - early March in the Pensacola area.
I appreciate the help!

Parker Phoenix

Thanks for the tip Limitless!! I will definitely post pic's when we/if we catch something. We will be going down to FL in late Feb. - early March in the Pensacola area.
I appreciate the help!

Don't be planning to catch any Grouper or Snapper as they will be closed in the Gulf.

davel

What's the deal with that? I heard about them closing grouper but they have closed snapper as well?? All snapper and grouper?
What else can I catch there that's good to eat!!:huh:

Parker Phoenix

Snapper should open back up in June, maybe. Gag grouper stands a chance of being closed all year or at least until June. It looks like you may be able to fish for red grouper but the limit was 2 per person, that may change. That leaves grunts, and sea bass. Of course there are your pelegics, but they may not be back by then, like kingfish, cobia, and mahi. I suggest you visit NOAA's site and do some research on the GCFMC to understand their agenda. I'll give you a hint, they are not your friend.

Limitless

What's the deal with that? I heard about them closing grouper but they have closed snapper as well?? All snapper and grouper?
What else can I catch there that's good to eat!!:huh:

Only Red Snapper is closed in the Gulf. Gag Grouper harvest is closed in Federal waters til at least July, and all Grouper harvest is closed in state waters (out to 9 miles off shore) for February and March. So you still have everything else - Red grouper in Fed water, AJs, all other snapper, Black Sea Bass, Cobia, Redfish, Trout, etc. Go get 'em!!

Sharkfighter

Wouldn't Some of those Rods and Reels suggested be overkill on the Black Sea Bass, vermilion snapper, redfish and trout? If that is all you will be legally targeting, I like rigging lighter for catching those.

But I am not as experienced as many on here and have zero knowledge of the waters you are fishing in, so just asking.

davel

Can anyone tell my what type of tackle I will need to bottom fish the Gulf? We will be going out of the Pensacola area but not going out real far (10 miles the most I think??).
What type of hooks, sinkers, swivels, size of each, etc. My son-in-law has some of this but I would like to buy some before I go down in late Feb.
Also, what can we expect to catch bottom fishing/trolling that time of year?
Thanks for the help!

XTREME HUNTER

Your best bet if you are bottom fishing is to wait until you get there, Stores up here bps do not have a good selection. Local tackle stores down there will be able to help you in a big way and not over buy.