Tagged out??

humdandy

Banned
If a man limited out on turkeys everybody would bend over backwards to congratulate him........

Kill you legal limit of deer and people frown on you.......

shdw633

If a man limited out on turkeys everybody would bend over backwards to congratulate him........

Kind of a big difference between 3 birds and 20 deer as far as effects on a flock/herd.

humdandy

Banned
Kind of a big difference between 3 birds and 20 deer as far as effects on a flock/herd.

Depends on who you ask.

Depends on your area/region.

Too many variable to make that statement.

I know there are current research and studies to why the turkey population is down......perhaps over hunting might be the answer.

Killdee

Gheezzeee were not shooting hens!!! 14 does out of that 20 could easily be 35 deer absent from your property next year. Just my opinion cause I know what it does.

deerhuntingdawg

My cousin just texted me a picture of his 14th deer of the season. Before you hit me about 14 he got two in Cedar Creek WMA. He’s proud as he can be. What do you folks think? I’ll be honest I don’t like it myself but every deer was legal and he has the right to kill his legal limit. His family eats the fool out of them they try not to buy meat all year. His 12 year old son killed 6 as well. All the deer but 2 were killed in Green county. Thoughts?

I know I’m very late to the party but if the majority is off of one track, it’s not very conservation minded and will not be substainable over time. Taking away the 2 from the WMA, the other 18 seems obsessive. But again, I’d need more detail before passing judgement. It could be off several tracks that have high populations.

brownceluse

I know I’m very late to the party but if the majority is off of one track, it’s not very conservation minded and will not be substainable over time. Taking away the 2 from the WMA, the other 18 seems obsessive. But again, I’d need more detail before passing judgement. It could be off several tracks that have high populations.

Finally! One very large track! Agriculture rich. Over populated. Cuz hired a local biologist to give him a management plan for his place. As a matter fact he fell short of the total goal by 11. This year he will try to achieve that goal. It's easy to pass judgement. It's hard to think constructive. You sir win the prize of the thread. He went on the WMA hunt with his HS buds like hes done for 20 years. :cheers:

JB0704

I Gots Goats

If they made the turkey limit ES, and let folks hunt them over bait, everybody's willingness to congratulate a fella for limiting out would diminish, as it has with deer. Dudes would be killing 3 hens with one shot under a feeder and get on here asking if anybody can take these turkeys off his hands cause he ain't got time to clean em.

The thing with being all "live n let live" with deer is that none of us share our hunting spots, but we all, like it or not, share the deer. So, my willingness to be happy over the neighbor property's biologist saying "kill every doe you see" is tempered by the fact that I know that means fewer sightings for me. All I can do is quit shooting does myself...........which is useless cause I know what happens when they cross that line.

deerhuntingdawg

Finally! One very large track! Agriculture rich. Over populated. Cuz hired a local biologist to give him a management plan for his place. As a matter fact he fell short of the total goal by 11. This year he will try to achieve that goal. It's easy to pass judgement. It's hard to think constructive. You sir win the prize of the thread. He went on the WMA hunt with his HS buds like hes done for 20 years. :cheers:

Sounds like he’s trying to appropriately manage the herd on this particular tract and getting a tasty biproduct. Kudos to him and his family. :cool:

Last edited:

brownceluse

Sounds like he’s trying to appropriately manage the herd on this particular track and getting a tasty biproduct. Kudos to him and his family. :cool:

I'm guilty of the bait and switch with this thread but we are so quick to jump to our own conclusions. You looked at it from a totally different perspective. :cheers:

grouper throat

Good for him. We have a 140 acre tract that could have a dozen killed off it every year and not make a difference. I cut my younger cousins loose and tell them to shoot at least 2 every time they get up. Run dogs and kill truck beds full of deer every year. Really depends where he's at if it's sustainable.

Duff

Since you asked, unless the population is exploding In Greene Co and needs controlling, I think it's ignorant and greedy.

Blast away, that's mho.

Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

Come on, I answered in post #7!:banana:

I was wondering what you were getting at. I saw some of your comments in other thread contradicting this one. Lol. Good one!

brownceluse

Come on, I answered in post #7!:banana:

I was wondering what you were getting at. I saw some of your comments in other thread contradicting this one. Lol. Good one!

:bounce: You did! Every area is different. Every hunter has different goals. It's easy to assume and it's hard to think constructive sometimes. So many different view points on this forum. Us hunters are guilty of thinking we are Dr. Deer and that's what makes it fun. I personally think you can never get the buck to doe ratio perfect anywhere. But that's just me but you have to have goals and manage based on what you property can support and the type of hunting you enjoy. Poor cuz was guilty of being an idiot based off of assumptions and that ws fun to read. But the truth always lies in the middle.:bounce:

new blood

Hey browncelose, I'm trying to figure out what you're trying to get out of this thread ? Your first post states that your cousin and family shot 20 deer to eat and that you don't agree with it and you think it's ignorant. Then a page later you state that you've hunted the property and that you know that in 2 years he will have shot out the property and look for a new place to hunt. Now you're acting as if you are in agreement with those that say that he should kill as many as he wants. You're also now saying that a biologist said that he could kill that many and have no problem sustaining the herd. You're accusing people for making assumptions but we're making assumptions on the conflicting information you're giving. So, I ask again. Where are we going with this thread?

Mexican Squealer

Hey browncelose, I'm trying to figure out what you're trying to get out of this thread ? Your first post states that your cousin and family shot 20 deer to eat and that you don't agree with it and you think it's ignorant. Then a page later you state that you've hunted the property and that you know that in 2 years he will have shot out the property and look for a new place to hunt. Now you're acting as if you are in agreement with those that say that he should kill as many as he wants. You're also now saying that a biologist said that he could kill that many and have no problem sustaining the herd. You're accusing people for making assumptions but we're making assumptions on the conflicting information you're giving. So, I ask again. Where are we going with this thread?

Spot on....dumb from the get go:rolleyes:

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
The same reason he self started it back up after it died twice. Man drama. After 20 days the last time. Most likely a fairy tale.

brownceluse

I’m looking for innocent until proven guilty. That was all. Sorry if I wasted any of your time reading this thread.