Woodcock

Beagle Stace

Glad to see you guys are finding some birds. was wondering if they would move further south. Snow probably confused them for sure.

mlandrum

Mike, the snow dog cometh! Good to see you had success.
More from the sunny south: I had another work "snow" day yesterday so what's a fella to do? I met up with a buddy for an afternoon woods walk under conditions that gave me concern about finding birds. I had to four wheel it through the snow from my house to the main highway to the hunt site. Surprisingly we found 6 birds; unsurprisingly they were in tough spots to shoot, but Abby and Willa found them. It was sporty shooting. 20 ga. Darne R-10. Gil
Great Job Gil-- Yes it quite a different situation

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Finding birds in new areas. Four birds found today by Pop and Sadie; shots fired at 3 and one bagged. Floyd's Woodcock Wand of Woe, 20 ga. Ithaca SKB, 25" barrels, IC/M. Gil

GLS

Floyd and Jeff on the edge of the rivercane waiting for Abby’s and Willa’s bells to stop ringing. Cool for down here in the high 20’s at 10 a.m. when we started.

We found a few birds. Snow and palmettos?? Not something we see around here usually. The only thing that might be just as rare are other woodcock hunters. The Ithaca SKB 20 of Floyd’s, my MF Ideal 302 16 ga., and Jeff’s Uggie all have in common factory 25” (+/-) barrels.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Looks like y’all are having a grand season.
Jeff

GLS

We aren't finding the concentrations like we found over the past two years. Gil

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I can’t say how good it’s been as I have had a spinal fusion in the month of December for each of the past three years. I have been watching a couple of woodcock in the edge of the yard which is encouraging.
Jeff

mlandrum

Office and College today, More hearing aids in Dublin tomorrow, Wednesday Office and Hospital Visits --- BUT--Look out Thursday cause Me and Drake will be after the Doodles ??

Attachments

• IMG_0190.jpg
    IMG_0190.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 306

GLS

I can’t say how good it’s been as I have had a spinal fusion in the month of December for each of the past three years. I have been watching a couple of woodcock in the edge of the yard which is encouraging.
Jeff
Ouch! Hope that's the last fusion. Cool seeing the wc's in your yard. Gil

mlandrum

Though wet today, me and Drake snuck out to see if we could flush one......... WELL:shoot:

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 229

GLS

Mike, beautiful bird. Hope to hit the woods this weekend hard as well. After the weekend, work is about to seriously encroach on the season for me. Willa is on injured reserve until midweek. She developed a high fever overnight after hunting Sunday and developed pustules on her belly. It's baffled the vet and we await lab results. She's on antibiotics and the pustules cleared up and the fever resolved at the vet Monday. There's a range of possibilities. I did notice fire ant beds along the woods road where we hunted, but right now, no way to tell what happened. Biopsies were taken and stitches are in place keeping her out of the woods this weekend. Abby will do fine by her lonesome in rotation with Floyd's Britts. Gil

Last edited:

GLS

Vet just called to tell me the cultures indicated staph infection and it was the type which responds to the antibiotics she is on. Vet (and I) glad no indication of an auto immune disorder which would have been worse news. Until staples come out from biopsies she will be riding the bench. gil

fullstrut

Shot my first ever this week in my yard. They have been around my house for several weeks. Just came inside from getting firewood and stopped to listen and watch them display right over my head. Pretty cool bird for sure

fullstrut

Bring yourself and dogs and yall hunt at free. Just saying. Would love to watch and learn.

fullstrut

mlandrum, send private message and I will send pics. I have the birds.

mlandrum

Gil, after two miles of walking swamps today Drake flushed this Female way up in a drain ditch:shoot:

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (10).jpg
    FullSizeRender (10).jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 334
  • FullSizeRender (9).jpg
    FullSizeRender (9).jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 330