We need more trophy hunters

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I guess I'm somewhere in the middle. I love to shoot a big buck and I don't shoot what I consider small bucks. I let them walk. But I love the meat too. I just love hunting. I don't try to tell other people how to hunt but I do hate to see grown men mowing down small bucks. But the thing is, I do most of my deer hunting on our place on the western edge of Macon County where there is a "fifteen inch rule" in place. I love it because that type of management means I see and have more chances at bigger bucks and for the most part the smaller ones are getting to mature on the adjoining land as well as ours. I by no means think I am the great white hunter or try to tell other people what to do on their land.

Buckstop

Not a heck of a lot of challenge being strickly a meat hunter. I do enjoy the meat but I like chicken, beef and fish too. If I was in it just for the meat, I’d be done by the first or second weekend. I figure if your only going to shoot 1 or 2 bucks, might as well spend a little effort to make them good ones.

But thats just my outlook. Could care less what others may think. I do think it all works best to hunt with those who have similar outlooks. Would hate to be lectured by a meat hunter for just enjoying watching and passing on bucks I don’t care to shoot.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Not a heck of a lot of challenge being strickly a meat hunter. I do enjoy the meat but I like chicken, beef and fish too. If I was in it just for the meat, I’d be done by the first or second weekend. I figure if your only going to shoot 1 or 2 bucks, might as well spend a little effort to make them good ones.

But thats just my outlook. Could care less what others may think. I do think it all works best to hunt with those who have similar outlooks. Would hate to be lectured by a meat hunter for just enjoying watching and passing on bucks I don’t care to shoot.

This may be the best response yet !

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I wish we had more trophy turkey hunters !

cramer

I like a big ol buck, but also like deer meat. It’s a balance between the 2 as u spoke NC.
This is deer hunting 101.

My dog would love to chew on that rack:fine:
What did you do with it? It would last a week or two.

Welcome back Son! I miss your posts!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
In my club, members are allowed to take any two legal bucks they want, and two does per paid member. I'm seeing more and more people opting to pass on young deer. Some are satisfied with a 2.5 year old with a nice rack. Others look for more mature bucks. But if anyone kills something less, none of us look down on em. Our management program has been working for over 30 years. I usually decide from trail camera's which two i would like to get. And hold out in hopes of getting em before the season goes out. This past season, held out to the end. Results were, one buck, but he was an old 7 point we've been wanting out for three years or so. Nice tall rack, just outside the ears. He came to rattling Saturday Jan 13th. Do i feel bad about not getting one of the others i was after? Not at all, they will be a challenge next season. Our club does nothing to take the enjoyment out of hunting, and we support family and youth hunting.

Imagine that. ^ People with differing goals, objectives and opinions can all work together and get along great. What's this world coming to?

Well done on the 7 Pt. Son and it's good to see you back.