30-06 Choices..... Opinions...

Paul Cataldo

Ok guys,
I am no gun expert, and over the years I've always mainly shot Remington 700's.
I have always been happy with them, but in the future, I will be buying a new rifle, and am considering a different firearm, to change things up a bit.
Don't get me wrong, the 700BDL Stainless/Synthetic is STILL an option, but I've also been seriously thinking about a Browning A Bolt Stainless/Synthetic OR a Kimber Stainless/Synthetic.
Here is my dilemma,
The Remington has the DEEP black colored stock that I like. I just love it WAY more than the lighter, almost grayish color of the Browning and the Kimber.

The Browning's stock however, has a much better feel to it. Thicker overall, and just downright feels better.

The Kimber has by far, the best trigger by FAR, than the other two. I've heard it groups a little tighter too.

Now, I'm not sure which model Kimber I am referring to, as I forgot which one I looked at, but I would also like to know which Kimber you guys would recommend and why. I know the Kimber was extremely light, (around 6lbs I think), and honestly, it was nice to know that it would be so easy to carry, but at the same time, I know a heavier gun holds steady.

The other issue with the Kimber is the safety. It has the same stupid safety design that Ruger uses, which is why I won't own a Ruger. I just love the Rem and Browning safety levers.

I really think I would go with the Rem or Browning, because the Kimber is too much $$$ for a gun that has a few minor issues that I'm not comfortable with.
Does anyone else have this problem????

Also, I would like to look into a HOWA, which is one that I've never had ANY experience with at all. I'm not too sure of the prices on HOWAS, but I would prefer to stay around $700, IF possible.

stumpman

Banned
spend a little more and try a sako finn light you will like the stock it has a nice palm swell and has the soft rubber grips molded in i love mine it is a 7mm rem mag its ss black synthetic stock give it a look they are guarenteed to shoot under an inch at 100 yrds from the factory. also the trigger is adjustable and comes set at 3lbs from the factory no travel it breaks crisp i set mine at 2lbs all my rifles are at 2lbs.http://www.sako.fi/

Last edited:

Buzz

Take a look at a CZ 550 rifle as well. They make a really nice rifle for the price.

NotaVegetarian

Stop by your local Wal-Mart, I was in one the other evening. They had the Weatherby Vanguard rifles for $300. It is an excellent rifle.

Jeff Phillips

Paul - I will buy the Howa 1500 Thumbhole Sporter in stainless for my next gun! My buddy Shawn has 1 in .308 and it is a great shooter!

www.legacysports.com

You can get a great gun from Howa for under $700!

bevills1

The Howa has same action as Weatherby Vanguard and cost about $40 to $50 less than the Vanguard. Both may be ordered from Walmart stores if they don't have the caliber you want. I have the Howa in 7MM Rem Mag which is very accurate and has the smoothest bolt action of any bolt gun I've tried. Remington, Browning, etc. are more costly, but the Howa is my hands down favorite and is my favorite hunting rifle too.

Predator56

what are you looking for in a rifle?

is accuracy all that is important or do you want adjustable triggers, stainless etc.? detatchable box magazine? push or controlled round feed? free floated or bedded barrel?

I have a sako 75. i have had/handled all sorts of brands. it really boils down to the features you like/want. they'll all shoot pretty good, good enough for deer.
some cost almost twice as much as the others...

what is important to you?

this page sums up why i own what i own
http://www.berettausa.com/product/spotlight/spot_sako75_details.htm

Last edited:

stumpman

Banned
SAKO75 what caliber do you have and is it the regular 75 or the finnlight i love mine and just bought my son a tikka ss lite its just as accurate theres a couple of differences he loves his so far. paul you might want to chack out the tikka they are about 1/2 the cost of the sako we got a deal on his $499.00 its ss synthetic 30-06 there regularly $579.00 roughly for the ss.http://www.tikka.fi/pdf/specs/LiteStainless.pdf

Last edited:

bevills1

The Weatherby Vanguard isn't a Howa 1500 although they have same action. The Weatherby Vanguard comes with 24 inch barrel even in standard calibers while the Howa comes with 22 inch barrel in standard calibers and 24 inch barrel in magnum calibers. There may be other differences or not, but I know barrel lengths vary between the guns.

the HEED!

Banned
If it ain't broke, don't fix it

It's hard to go wrong with Remingtons, I've shot 700s, 30-06 since I started hunting. Last year I bought the 710 30-06 and really like it, dont have to worry about scratching it up with it being synthetic and all. 30-06 is plenty of gun with the right load in Georgia anyway, no need for a canon or mag in our deer woods, just my opinion, what do i know anyways?

JeffinPTC

Weatherbys

I like Weatherbys. The Mark V is made in USA, although in the past they were also made by Howa and Sauer.

The 30-06 will have a 6 lug action, compared to 9 lug in the magnums. I've seen a 30-06 on GB lately which says it has a 9 lug.
I think The current Cabelas flyer has a WBY Vanguard rifle with a Mark V walnut stock for around $800, if you like wood. the MVs are $1500+ for wood new.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/wby_mkV_rifles.htm

http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_rugged_vs_refined.htm

JKnieper

I have fallen in love with my Tikka SS lite in '06. A real tack driver that feels good to carry and shoot.

Chase4556

Cant go wrong with a rem 700. And the browning is a great option as well.

Might I suggest to look at Weather rifles. Every weatherby have ever shot, and the one I own, have been tack drivers.

A 10 year old thread revival.... is that a record? What do you search for to find a thread that old? "Plans to build an Ark"?

jfish

I haven't shot 3006 in long time. Bought savage 308 based on some good info and I hated it. Bought a browning 3006 xbolt and just put a thread on as well. So far it's pretty sweet. Way better than be 308 savage I have. Same scope so it wasn't that. I am pretty confident I can shoot 1" at 400. It's sub at 200 now. I'm shooting Barnes 168 vortex for consistency. The Winchesters weren't bad either same weight. I have to admit I been shooting 270 for while and it's way more recoil than it or the 308 is prob the down side. Not bad at all just way more than used to.