Deer hunting with a shotgun

Grub Master

Anyone deer hunting with a shotgun? If so whats the max range you've killed one? Thanks

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I switched to a rifle about 45 years ago but before that I used a shotgun. Longest shot I ever killed one was maybe 40 yards, with #1 buckshot.

Down4Count

I dog hunted one year, yes that was enough... Anyhow, shot one at 75 yards with #1 buck, 3", 24 pellet. Maybe it was luck, found 3 pellets when we skinned him.

specialk

50 yds.00 buckshot...I still use I shotgun when running dogs...but if I'm stand/still hunting I want a rifle....

ribber

Killed a doe when I was in my teens at about 50 paces, so 45-50 yards. 00 buck 12 gauge.
My dad and uncles have killed many deer with a shotgun and I still hunt with one occasionally in thick areas, but I haven't killed one in many years with a scatter gun.
I have a buddy who hunts exclusively with a shotgun. He's killed 2 does and a huge 7 point so far this year.
I can tell you, a neck shot within 30 yards or so with 3" 00 buckshot will drop one graveyard dead.

BeerThirty

Buckshot is illegal in some states, i suppose it has it's advantages nonetheless. I say if you want to try deer hunting with a shotgun, just use a rifled slug. Nowadays a good rifled shotgun, with quality ammo and scope can enable a hunter to quite easily shoot up to 150 yards, give or take... Besides, slugs will punch right through the thick stuff better than buckshot ever will.

Grub Master

I've got an area that is really thick and a rifle isn't gonna work. I'm wondering if a slug would work better then buck shot?

Killer Kyle

Federal Vital Shok 3" 00 copper plated buck with flite control wad is HARD to beat. That is a tight grouping buckshot. I get a killer pattern at 40 yards with simply an IC choke in. I've not yet found a buckshot brand that can out group it from my Mossberg 500. I am in love with that load.

six

Where I grew up deer hunting in the 60's all we could use was buckshot or slugs. I can remember killing them at about 60 yards with buckshot, but that's a childhood memory so 30-40 yards is probably more accurate. Even the slugs "punkinballs" were really limited. Haven't really hunted with buckshot since the 70's. I have used slugs in Illinois in recent times and 100-125 yards was very doable. Some folks say 200 plus yards but I never got to that point.

georgia_home

Buckshot earned it's name. Somehow. I use it as required on some hunts. Specifically deer drives on private property. The land owner requires it on drives.

Otherwise we use slugs. Smooth bore, my longest shot was around 80 or so. I used this setup for deer and hogs in Georgia a lot. More than rifle the last 3 years. It's thick and most shots are well under 100y anyway so no real loss.

Rifled barrel, 111yards, checked via change finder. Remy copper solid slug.

shootemall

I hunted with slugs as a kid, but never pulled the trigger on a deer. I have rifle kills, compound bow, and working on crossbow this year. Taking the kids has scaled back my effectiveness, but it's totally worth it. I want to kill one with a shotgun though, because I want to shoot em all (as in all weapons, not all animals).

Hillbilly stalker

The military done extensive testing with OO buck and concluded that 40 yards was the max effective range on man sized targets. That's awful close to deer size. I can't imagine an area too thick for a rifle....I hog hunt in stuff so thick you can't see 20 yards and prefer a rifle. A trashy shot is a trashy shot.

2-shot

I have one of those Savage 220 with a scope designed for shotguns and love it. My boys have killed deer 160-180 yards with it

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I grew up using a shotgun with buck shot. I used a 20ty ga number 3 buchdhot. I killed plenty and we ran dogs a lot. We used buckshot because it was not a hundred yard weapon. We shot everything close. Safety thing we hunted in groups most the time.
I still hunted with it also. Deer get 30ty from u. Bam.
My still hunting rifle as a kid was a 30 30 open sight model 94.
Anyway. Them where the good ol days.

Jack Ryan

I've killed lots of deer with shot gun and slugs. From 5 steps to 150 yards.

You better have shot it a lot and know exactly what you are doing trying out slugs at 100 yards and past. They have about the same, ABOUT, that means close / approximate, trajectory as a 22 long rifle. They sure as heck are no MORE accurate than a 22 LR even if you have the best one ever made.

Timberman

40-50 yards. Shot many back when that was all I had And when I was dogging. Also for man drives and such.

KDavis

Shotgun

Killed this one in 2012 in Illinois 182 yards. It was long shot and he didn't go right down but it did reach out and touch him. One other thing was an open field with no wind.

Attachments

• IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 728

biggdogg

If it is too thick to offer a clean shot, it won't matter if it's a slug, buckshot or a .300 magnum.

And contrary to popular belief, a 12 gauge slug will deflect off a limb just the same as any other bullet.