Tagged Out

Buck Dropper

Yesterday evening was a whole lot of fun.

It was cold day down here in South Georgia. After the morning hunt, I spent several hours scouting a property we haven't hunted a lot, looked at spots for next year, and put out some cams.

At 4:35 I climbed into a stand overlooking a big soybean field. There have been several good bucks seen in this field over the past few months, all out of range.

By the time the sun was down behind the pines, I had seen around 15 deer, mostly does, with a few young bucks chasing them. I had a trail camera picture of a wide 8 point at 5:30 AM that morning about 200 yards from this field. I was betting on him coming to the field in the evening.

At 5:40, he stepped out into the field at 500 yards. I watched him come out and feed for a while, then start to check does. I didn't know if I would ever get a chance to shoot him or not. At 5:48, there were about 20 deer in the field, and fortunately one of them had led him closer to me. I got down and sat on the floor of the stand, and used my fanny pack laid on top of a big limb as a rest. He turned broadside and I decided it was now or never. I was losing light fast. I put my crosshairs a little below his spine to account for the drop. I squeezed off a round, and he hunched up. Five steps later, he fell.

It ended up being a 275 yard shot, topping my previous best of 225 on my first buck of the season.

I am so thankful to have taken this deer. I have had an awesome season, with two good bucks, four does & a 250 pound hog. Now I will have about a month to focus on getting my wife her first deer and killing a few more does with the stick and string.

Hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and a great rest of the season! Thanks for reading.

wide8.JPG
musgrove field.jpg

walkinboss01

Nice buck. Congrats

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Very big handsome buck!!!
Good shot dude!!! I think I know what your talkin about.....I've been in my Summit climber on few occasions and had deer in a clearcut over 200 yards that I wanted to shoot. I never could get steady enough so I sat down in the bottom and lay the rifle on the rail. It works!
Love the picture of the field too, looks like a fun spot!
Congrats