2016 Wilkes County Reports

cr00241

I will start off the Wilkes County thread for this year.

We were late planting the dove field this year but its been in the ground almost a month now. Planted Millet and Sunflowers. The Doves really show up at our place after the first week of getting shot at around our area.

I purchased some land of my own in January and have cleared lanes and made a loop around my property with the dozer. Have bucks and does on camera.

Good luck to everyone this season.

Possum

Banned
I noticed a guy below me planted a big sunflower field and it looks like its doing well. My plots for deer are being over browsed and not sure what to do about it. I planted Sunn hemp which is supposed to grow an inch a day but its an even 3"-4" everywhere. The cowpeas I planted started good but when I checked the other day deer had eaten every leaf off them. Ive gone through 800 lbs of feed trying to satisfy the deer's appetite this summer but they are eating everything! I really need a dozer to make my plots bigger, they are less than 1/3 acre each. Hope to do that next year. Your dozer isnt for hire is it? Im hoping we keep getting enough rain around Wilkes to keep things green. Its bone dry up here in Habersham county. I entered in for the Clarks Hill Dove shoot this year, anybody know the condition of that field?

cr00241

PM me or text me next time you're going to Wilkes. I would have to look at the condition of the docks and stumps to see if my dozier could move the stuff. Most of the stumps should be rotten by now so mine should be able to clean them up.

We need alot more rain up there for sure.

deermaster13

Glad to see this thread started up. We are in a bad way for rain. Most my plots are drying up. Seen a few nice ones so far and about to stick up more cams.

cr00241

This weekend at my house in Augusta we got over 2". My FIL says we got 1/10 in Tignall. Really need that rain.

Possum

Banned
Looks like it just dropped a ton of rain around tignal! Hogs finally found new deer feeders last week. Still no big bucks on camera, ton of does and small bucks. I'm pleased to see the majority of pictures I'm getting are daytime pics. Only about 25% are nighttime. Around habersham I get less than 10% daytime pictures.

grndhunt10

We checked our camera's last weekend, had lots of doe pic's with only a few young bucks. Man it sure was dry though. Seems as though the woods were almost parched. We're in the Rayle area. Praying for some rain.

cliff from jax

Was in tignall this weekend they got some rain last week but not much the creeks on my place are still flowing pretty good so a good many deer lots of fawns most doe's had twins put cameras out going back in two weeks

bowhunterdavid

I have been seeing a lot of does and fawns on the west side of wilkes around highway 44 , deer numbers seem to be getting better on our club, got some nice bucks on camera to.

cr00241

Posting some pics from my camera's in the trail cam section. All the rain we got over the last couple of weeks have made the millet field pop up. Almost Dove and Deer season!

Possum

Banned
Things are looking good! How are the acorns looking on your place? I forgot to check my oaks last weekend but did notice a lot of green muscadines falling after the heavy rain.

cr00241

Got pictures from yesterday showing the velvet is off on some bucks. Good luck this weekend, it's going to be a hot one!

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
fresh rub in wilkes today.
Big one too, same tree cluster he rubbed last year!!

Just assuming its the same buck

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Our club is between Tignal and Rayle. The paved road on Rayle side starts out as being called Callaway Rd. Then we lease 1600 acres of pine management forest around rocky branch are between dirt roads Dunk Hill and Pete Johnson.
Idk where delhi rd is. But I'm the worlds worst with road names. You could be right down the road and I wouldn't know

cr00241

My Hit list Buck

This 6pt has been on my place all summer. I got a pic of him in early February. I know he is older buck, I'm guessing atleast 5.5 and he is not going to become anymore then he already is. He is on the top of my hit list. Next Thursday will be my first hunt and its suppose to be 59 that morning. I am ready to go.

Attachments

• PICT0879.jpg
    PICT0879.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 864

grndhunt10

Cr00241

We have had several bucks in the past that didn't have any brow tines as well. Must have been a big 'ol bruiser that was doing a lot of breeding that passed that gene around. We haven't seen as many in the last few years, only a couple,and have taken those out at 2-3 years old to try and keep them from passing it on as well. That's a nice'n, I hope you get him!

bowhunterdavid

White oak acorns starting to fall pretty good this weekend, saw several deer in the mornings with the cooler temps. Bucks starting to make rubs,, man do we need rain on our plots,, dry as a bone.