.250 Savage Ruger no. 1

Thanks to my buddy Alan for letting me steal his NIB Ruger no. 1 in .250 Savage. There were only 250 made in 2011 by Lipsey's in the walnut/stainless configuration. I dont think the #1 was ever made in a Savage caliber before or since, but I could be wrong on that. Being a Savage 99 collector just makes this doubly cool for me! Even though I have a 99 in .250, it has never been used on a game animal. If anyone has experience with the cartridge, I would love to hear the story. Regards, 021

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 508

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Lord have mercy, what a rifle.....

Klondike

That is an awesome rifle. You won't regret that purchase.

100gr bullet at 2850 fps should be all you need for whitetail to 300 yards

Philbow

Very, Very Nice.

I've been using an old 99 (1929 dom) for about 30 years. It has the slow 1 in 14 twist so it shoots the 87 grain Speer or Hornady bullets best. The 100 grain Remington shoots plenty accurate for hunting out to 250 -300 yards but my reloads with the 87 grainers kill deer/hogs/coyotes perfectly well. I suspect your Ruger has a 1 in 10 twist so accuracy with most 100 grain "ordinary" bullets should be excellent. But at the 250's velocities you may have stability problems with heavy 25 bullets or long for weight (Barnes solid copper) bullets. I've gotten the best accuracy/velocity combination using Reloader 15 and Hogdon CFE 223.
Your Ruger may have a longer barrel than my 99 so your velocities may be high enough to stabilize the long 25 bullets but the 87 and 100 grain bullets will kill any Georgia game "really most sincerely dead".

Very, Very Nice.

I've been using an old 99 (1929 dom) for about 30 years. It has the slow 1 in 14 twist so it shoots the 87 grain Speer or Hornady bullets best. The 100 grain Remington shoots plenty accurate for hunting out to 250 -300 yards but my reloads with the 87 grainers kill deer/hogs/coyotes perfectly well. I suspect your Ruger has a 1 in 10 twist so accuracy with most 100 grain "ordinary" bullets should be excellent. But at the 250's velocities you may have stability problems with heavy 25 bullets or long for weight (Barnes solid copper) bullets. I've gotten the best accuracy/velocity combination using Reloader 15 and Hogdon CFE 223.
Your Ruger may have a longer barrel than my 99 so your velocities may be high enough to stabilize the long 25 bullets but the 87 and 100 grain bullets will kill any Georgia game "really most sincerely dead".

Yes, very perceptive, it does indeed have a 1-10 twist. I will only use factory 100 grain loads. I suspect it will be a good deer killer if I hold up my end.

Alan in GA

Counting that rifle I have owned 6 Rugers in 250 Savage (77R/77RL/77 Mark II). It and the 358 Win have been favorites. All deer died with one shot with any of the 250's. There is not a nicer more enjoyable rifle to shoot for deer, and I've used a lot of different rifles.
That #1 is unshot since factory but I hope you change that!
I've used Nosler Ballistic Tips and Partitions in 100 grain for one shot kills. Possibly used one of the dwindling factory Winchester 100 gr Silver Tips as well, don't remember.
Sight it in, put crosshairs on deer, pull the trigger---> venison!

Last edited:

I have killed more deer with a savage 99 in 358 Winchester than any other single rifle. I hope to try this 250 out next. Thanks for the great rifle Alan!

tom ga hunter

I have a 250 in a Remington 700 Classic & 2 250AI's built by John Lewis. I use Hornady 117 bullets with H4831 in the 250, the load is in their book. My longest kill 325yds was on a doe with the 250 Savage. This was before range finders, I aimed at the spine & Made a perfect lung shot.

Alan in GA

another Ruger idea.....

I have a 250 in a Remington 700 Classic & 2 250AI's built by John Lewis. I use Hornady 117 bullets with H4831 in the 250, the load is in their book. My longest kill 325yds was on a doe with the 250 Savage. This was before range finders, I aimed at the spine & Made a perfect lung shot.

You have [had?] a Ruger #1B model in .257 that I remember. I think a same model in 250 Savage would be as neat to me, probably could get away easily with a 24" barrel but I would sure buy a 26" standard B model barrel version.
My 'best' is still the 77 Mark II in 250 Ackley, the Shilen barrel proving the rifle is capable of better accuracy than I am. It groups in ...... well, I don't want to be called a liar so I'll just leave it at that! LOL.
I was happy with factory barrels for many years until I started buying/fitting QUALITY aftermarket barrels [Shilen, Pac Nor].
I cut/fit the Shilen sporter contour to 24" thinking I could always cut it back to 22". Years later it's still at and will stay at 24", and that's on a Ruger 77 bolt action!
If I can't maneuver this rifle through the woods, I need to start walking towards a clearing. I'm too lazy to walk through briars anymore!

Very nice rifle, congrats! I'm a fan of the look of SS and wood as well. I own two SS M77s with walnut stocks and a SS Model Seven with a brown laminate stock. It just looks nice to my eye.

tom ga hunter

You have [had?] a Ruger #1B model in .257 that I remember. I think a same model in 250 Savage would be as neat to me, probably could get away easily with a 24" barrel but I would sure buy a 26" standard B model barrel version.
My 'best' is still the 77 Mark II in 250 Ackley, the Shilen barrel proving the rifle is capable of better accuracy than I am. It groups in ...... well, I don't want to be called a liar so I'll just leave it at that! LOL.
I was happy with factory barrels for many years until I started buying/fitting QUALITY aftermarket barrels [Shilen, Pac Nor].
I cut/fit the Shilen sporter contour to 24" thinking I could always cut it back to 22". Years later it's still at and will stay at 24", and that's on a Ruger 77 bolt action!
If I can't maneuver this rifle through the woods, I need to start walking towards a clearing. I'm too lazy to walk through briars anymore!

I just sold the 1B in 257 to a friend, he promised to use it but I still have 4 other 257's & 2 25'06's.

How is Mr Williams doing?

T-N-T

That is a Beautiful rifle!

Nimrod71

I have a Win mod 70 in 250 Savage and I really like it. I have had it a number of years and I have never killed a deer with it. I enjoy shooting it and it handles very well, just haven't ever carried it hunting, when I use a 25 I would carry my 257 R. I have killed deer with it. This year I am only hunting deer with rifles I have never killed with. The 250 will be the first out the door this year. By the way your Ruger #1 in 250 is a prize.

W4DSB

87 grain was the original bullet for the 250-3000 savage .
they used the lighter bullet to get the 3000 fps it was named for