anyone know a shop to re arch leaf springs

Luke0927

Like title says, would like to find a shop that can add a leaf or rearch rear leaf springs instead of installing new ones....anyone know an shops that do that stuff anymore.

Casey81

Driveline Service of Atlanta. 770-242-9365. They are just south of Jimmy Carter on Buford Hwy. Dwayne does some great work.

rjcruiser

Are you looking to gain a stiffer suspension? or just raise the vehicle a little higher?

Once you remove the axle from the springs and the bolts from each of the eyes, the springs are no longer under any tension. You can then add a leaf or spacers if you want to.

One way to increase the flexibility/ride qualities of leaf springs is to take them all apart, sand down the rust build up between the springs and put axle grease in between them before sandwiching them back together. This helps them flex like they were originally supposed to do.

Jim Baker

Staff member
You will have to find a shop that specializes in heat treating. You can't just press the springs back into shape.
They will lose their shape again.

What are you working on. Leaf springs are not that expensive for small trailers and such. I would get some estimates going both ways. Heat treating or new.

Luke0927

I replaced my front struts, have 250,000 on rear leafs they just need a slight arch little work to restore them i dont haul much 4 wheeler and a small pop up thats about it. Alcan leafs has a 1" over factory are $500 ( just leafs I can do install) this is for a Tacoma.

rjcruiser

Can you just put some air shocks in the back to stiffen it up a bit when you have a load in the back? Be a lot cheaper and easier than changing out leaf springs.

Luke0927

I just swapped in Bilstien shocks in the rear so wouldn't want to buy air shocks, I'm going to keep the thing forever so don't mind putting them on but figured if it was a 1/3 of the price to just get them rearched (haven'e even priced it yet might be as high as new ones), I'd go that route for now, and a little ways down the road but the Alcan leafs in it.

MonroeTaco

You can get a set of AAL's and install them pretty easily for around $100. Wheelers Offroad has pretty good add- a- leafs.

Luke0927

Wheeler's is where I was looking at the leafs, it was there factory replacement HD's made by alcan adds 1" I'm running OME 880's up from on a single cab its about 1" as well. But like you said maybe just throw in an add a leaf, I'm going to see what some of these guy charge to re arch them and go from there.

rayjay

Iirc we used to use Landrum Spring Service down near Lakewood in Atlanta. They could re-arch or make new leafs.