Gator hunt advice for newbie

Jasper

My son's and I all have 6 gator points. My initial thoughts were to apply and all of us go this season but I don't know how feasible it would be for all of us to be successful in one weekend/long weekend hunt. I'd rather not pay for more than one guided hunt in a year as well in case all 3 of us weren't successful. I'm now leaning toward having one or both of them apply and I'll just tag along for the fun and then go the next year or 2 as well. Thoughts?

With 6 points I'd also like to hear Zone and guide recommendations.

Any other tips for a first timer would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

mizuno24jad

I would just do one person per year if it was me, that way you could go multiple years in a row instead of once every 5 years or so. You can have up to four people on the boat including the tag holder and everyone is pretty much involved in one way or another in the hunt

HunterJoe24

Contact FryeDaddy40 I think is his name on here. Gary Frye. Went with him two years ago. Didn't get one on the first night, which is rare for him, and he didn't charge an entire night for another. We killed a 9'. happyacresexpiditions.com. I highly recommend him and I'm sure you will see his name several times after me.

Big7

The Oracle
Chickasawhatchee WMA.

You don't need a guide.
They are everywhere.

Just know the "rules" because you WILL
get checked.

GunnSmokeer

My advice: Practice yelling from your bass boat down toward the water, "GET IN MY BELLY ! I'm higher on the food chain than you!"

(Use a Scottish accent, like Mike Myers did in that Austin Powers movie.)

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
I would definitely try to do one hunt per year, at the most two. There should be plenty of excitement and participation for everyone and you get to look forward to it again the next year while saving points again for the tag holder.

Jasper

Thanks for the replies! I agree, will most likely do one a year. Would like to hear more Zone and guide recommendations

mossyoakpro

Thanks for the replies! I agree, will most likely do one a year. Would like to hear more Zone and guide recommendations

Zone 2 (Seminole) with Redneck1....awesome equipment and absolutely will get you on a gator.

We have been 2 years in a row and killed a 10'8" and a 12'6"

Has a place to stay included in the fee.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Zone 2 has a pile of gators, and has em as big as they grow anywhere.

sghoghunter

If you have access to a boat and know someone that you can borrow some equipment from you will have a lot more fun and it will be a better memory if you can do a DIY hunt. I drawed a tag last yr and me,my daughter,brother and his son went out on Seminole and a got one that was 9'4. We saw a lot of small gators and a couple bigger but with my schedule being so limited we decided on this one

HunterJoe24

If you have access to a boat and know someone that you can borrow some equipment from you will have a lot more fun and it will be a better memory if you can do a DIY hunt. I drawed a tag last yr and me,my daughter,brother and his son went out on Seminole and a got one that was 9'4. We saw a lot of small gators and a couple bigger but with my schedule being so limited we decided on this one

I would agree. If you have the money to get started it would be a lot of fun, but IMO. I wasn't going to spend all that money to use it once every 7 years. It's all up to you though.

sghoghunter

Spend all of what money?? I said we borrowed the rod n reel and it wasn't anything special just a cheap salt water rig.

FOLES55

Zone 2 (Seminole) with Redneck1....awesome equipment and absolutely will get you on a gator.

We have been 2 years in a row and killed a 10'8" and a 12'6"

Has a place to stay included in the fee.

You won’t be disappointed. Highly knowledgeable and somehow even got me a gator in between raging storms

ben300win

I have been twice in zone 9. Killed a 11-4 the first time and an 8' the second time. First time there were 3 of us. We booked Michael Evans for two nights back to back. By 3 am the first night we had my 11 and a buddies 9-6 in the boat. The other guy missed like 4 times. He didn't wanna shoot a small one after we shot ours. Letshunt.net

groundhawg

Alligator Hunting List

ALLIGATOR TAG

Belt Knife/hunting knife – wear, optional
Electric Tape
Hand wipes – optional
Snacks – Pringles, crackers, energy snacks
Small cooler for snacks and drinks
Drinks – water, V-8 energy drinks, if you use a guide most will not allow beer
Small flashlights – two each, one with red, green, or blue lens – one for cap/headlight is a good idea one small one on lanyard or belt/pocket, also larger 6 volt light(s)
Extra batteries for flash lights
Large lights for moving boat and finding alligators, again with colored lens
Map of Lake/area
Compass and/or GPS – if hunting with a guide they might not allow a GPS as they might want to keep their “special places” secret
Cell Phone, insure charged, zip lock bag to keep it dry
Cameras – two small disposal cameras – or nice camera but likely to get wet
Bug spray
Toilet paper
Extra clothes, shoes and socks in your truck or car as you are likely to get wet
Weapon to kill alligator with, handgun or bang stick
Method(s) to catch alligator – crossbow, stanch hooks, harpoon, etc.

Items below will be needed after you kill your alligator.
Cooler – large up to 120 QT
Salt - 50 pounds, fine for hide
Knife(s) “Skinner” type knifes, 2 each
Sharper –
Gloves – plastic, dishwasher type, need for cleaning alligator optional

If you hire a guide – listen to him. Do not bother to pay good money for his experience and knowledge if you are not going to do as he asks.

Other folks please add items you think are good to have or remove stuff you feel is not needed. Not trying to be an all inclusive list just trying to get you thinking.