Drop chart.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
I got some accurate numbers for my drop chart today. I sighted in at 200 yds. then shot at 300 with a 8" drop then shot at 400 yds with a 3 1/4" 5 shot group which dropped 21 1/2" from the 200 yd zero.

Now I am getting confident in me and my rifle. :D

joseph

PS: I am shooting a 6mm Norma BR. with 105 gr. Berger VLDs. The barrel is 26" with a Savage target action with the target accu-trigger in a Stockade Prairie Dog Special/ Tactical stock.

1devildog

Its always good to go out and accualy learn your rifle and the particular load you are shooting, coo-do's to you!. My best advice I can give is to remember, your shooting in 100 degrea temps, log all your info down, dope on the scope, drops at distance, when the temps drop to around the 70 degrea mark, do it agan, then around the 45 to 50, and follow up in the peak of winter, 20 to 30. What you shot today with the high heat, come winter time your drops could be drasticly different, once you have your tempreture varients, what ever time of year you shoot, you can dial the correct dope into your scope and stay confident in both yourself and your equipment.

Ares_83x

I agree with 1devildog. There are a lot of factors that come into play with a long range rifle. Besides temperature; elevation, humidity, weight vs. wind ratio, ballistic coefficient and a dozen other variables. But make sure that you consider the abilities of your rifle before over stressing the variable effect. For instance the more humid it is the LESS affect the wind will play. (more humid means a higher Nitrogen content in the air (N2>80%) as the oxygen bonds with Hydrogen and 1 H20 molecule has a molecular weight of 18 g/mol and N2 has a weight of 28 g/mol. Sounds crazy right??.... well if your rifle shoots 1 MOA then your accuracy is good but you are limited to how precise you can be. Your round is already moving 1.047" at 100 yards and at 500 yards its really spread out. Here the humidity levels play a lesser role in your accuracy than the inherent accuracy of your rifle. So consider this when it comes time to adjust your sights for the variable game. Also instead of sighting in at one range (200 yards) get a scope that allows you to dial in your range so you keep your point of aim consistent. At long ranges trying to hold at the correct height above your target is very unreliable as at 500+ yards what you think is 24" may only be 18" or may be 30" But good luck and I'm sure you'll do well

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
I agree with 1devildog. There are a lot of factors that come into play with a long range rifle. Besides temperature; elevation, humidity, weight vs. wind ratio, ballistic coefficient and a dozen other variables. But make sure that you consider the abilities of your rifle before over stressing the variable effect. For instance the more humid it is the LESS affect the wind will play. (more humid means a higher Nitrogen content in the air (N2>80%) as the oxygen bonds with Hydrogen and 1 H20 molecule has a molecular weight of 18 g/mol and N2 has a weight of 28 g/mol. Sounds crazy right??.... well if your rifle shoots 1 MOA then your accuracy is good but you are limited to how precise you can be. Your round is already moving 1.047" at 100 yards and at 500 yards its really spread out. Here the humidity levels play a lesser role in your accuracy than the inherent accuracy of your rifle. So consider this when it comes time to adjust your sights for the variable game. Also instead of sighting in at one range (200 yards) get a scope that allows you to dial in your range so you keep your point of aim consistent. At long ranges trying to hold at the correct height above your target is very unreliable as at 500+ yards what you think is 24" may only be 18" or may be 30" But good luck and I'm sure you'll do well

This is what I have done since you wrote this:

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=564977&highlight=

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=574886&highlight=

gt40