Cherokee Indian Grave Site?

AAADawg

Its Indian GOLD!!!! When Indians were being forced out of Georgia they would bury all their wordly possessions in the ground and mark the spot of the way to it with rock piles and trees bent etc. They did this so the white men wouldnt tale away their gold and they knew that they would one day return to re-calim their treasure, something not many were ever able to do. Ill bet theres a fortune buried near those rock piles!!!!

60Grit

Its Indian GOLD!!!! When Indians were being forced out of Georgia they would bury all their wordly possessions in the ground and mark the spot of the way to it with rock piles and trees bent etc. They did this so the white men wouldnt tale away their gold and they knew that they would one day return to re-calim their treasure, something not many were ever able to do. Ill bet theres a fortune buried near those rock piles!!!!

Yeah, and since every white man in the U.S. knows this rumor, I am sure there is a lot left that hasn't been looted over the last hundred years or so????

Ozzie

I would check with your lease owner before I went to asking archaeologist for information on a site they possibly don't already know about or have listed. The owner may not like having a portion of his land tied up in a historic site where he has no control over what can be done with that portion of land or be told he can't use it for what ever reason. Too many times something small can have a big impasct on the future of a piece of property. Your lease owner might as soon you keep your mouth quiet (wink).

You are exactly right. The lease owner is a friend of mine and the hunting is absolutely fantastic on this property, so I will say nothing to anyone.

We have already run into this same situation on this property, I found a slave grave yard with about 50 people buried in it that he did not even know was there when he bought the land. I'm sure the archaeologist would love to know about it, but I have to respect the right to privacy of the landowner first. Those folks have been sleeping there a long time already, and the hunters in our club all treat the area with respect, so there's no reason to get anyone else involved.

carolyne

Intersting reading..sure has my curiosity going!!but...
you all know what curiosity did to the cat lol..
all kidding aside I will be watcing for more posts here.ya all have a nice day........

7mm mag 06

I have found many rocky piles on my farm like the ones yall are talkin about i have always suspected that they were built by indians. there is a TON of rocks, they r everywere there are some in piles like the 4x6 piles and then there re some just scattered around. i have found 1 real nice arrow head oon a road leading to that spot.

Ozzie

I stumbled on the slave grave yard when walking back to my ATV after a hunt and came upon a large flat area on top of a ridge. I noticed some depressions in the ground, and the fact there were granite field stones in a linear geometric pattern and all of a sudden it dawned on me what it was.

Some of the graves are in perfect condition with both head stones and smaller foot stones on each end of the depressions in the ground, and some of them have no markers at all, just the depressions. I'm sure at one time there were head and foot stones on all of them, but the area has been logged several times in its history and I doubt the wood cutters even knew what they were standing on and probably drove heavy equipment right over the top of it.

I'll try and remember to bring my digital camera with me next time I go to the property and take some pictures of the slave graves and what I guess are probably creek indian graves. It's cool stuff to see if you are like me and really enjoy and appreciate history.

madrabbit

still's

I don't believe it's either of those. I Know where an an old Georgia gold rush sluce site is in Cherokee county, and this looks nothing like that. I've also seen lots of old stills and I don't think this looks anything like that either. (You can usually tell an old still site by the old hoop barell rings laying on the ground from where the barrells rotted away and left the rings.)

Ummmm...just curious.....umm.....Have you, by chance, seen any new still's???????????????

Ozzie

Ummmm...just curious.....umm.....Have you, by chance, seen any new still's???????????????

Yeah, as a matter of fact I just saw a still a few minutes ago. It's a funny thing though...it says Frigidaire on the door and it's right in my kitchen. Why there's even 12 little barrels in there...but the funny thing is they all say "Budweiser 12 ounces" on the side.:cheers:

BassWorm

Ozzie the family graveyard at the bottom of the "L" has some civil war graves and quite a few that are unmarked and appear to be slave graves. Besides the family members of the folks that live close by.

Ozzie

Ozzie the family graveyard at the bottom of the "L" has some civil war graves and quite a few that are unmarked and appear to be slave graves. Besides the family members of the folks that live close by.
Yes, I remember seeing it for the first time before the L was cut. There's a little above ground infants tomb only about 2 foot long and the grave of a confederate soldier with the CSA emblem on top of the stone. Someone still cares for it because 2 years ago somebody went through and put flowers on all of the graves.

gold ummmmmmmmmm ok lets head over yonder:pop: ::gone:

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
I stumbled on this old thread. Did the piles look like this? I have 20+ on my property and was told they were most likely Indian graves since the rocks in the piles were all quartz.

Attachments

• large all quartz.JPG
    large all quartz.JPG
    379.9 KB · Views: 12,471

big john h

is it illegal, as a land owner who has those stones onm his property, to dig it up? might be some museum quality artifacts?

KDarsey

is it illegal, as a land owner who has those stones onm his property, to dig it up? might be some museum quality artifacts?
Should be if it isn't and at the very least should be 'Morally & Ethically' illegal!
Would you want somebody digging up your Grandma?

Researcher31726

Gone But Not Forgotten

I believe that if you suspect it is a cemetery or grave and you dig into it, the LEOs could have a long talk with you.

Offer the place the respect that the inhabitants deserve.

Sue

dixie

Could be graves but I'd think they may be old house sites , we have some on our lease in Cherokee and they're on creeks also. Look around this spring for plants that don't grow wild, thats a good way to find old home sites, jonquils are easy to spot and the bulbs have to be planted.