Smoked a deer ham Sunday

droptine06

Official Supper Thread Starter
Smoked her all day long......and it was disgusting.......disgustingly awesome!! I was to dang excited and busy cuttin' it up for folks that came for dinner last nigth I forgot to take a dang picture of the whole meal. Made baked taters and grilled squash and zuchini with Italian dressin' on them! Good eats!

Attachments

• aa.JPG
    aa.JPG
    250.2 KB · Views: 694
  • aa1.JPG
    aa1.JPG
    264.4 KB · Views: 639

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Just pure good organic food.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Good lookin grub! I hate you missed out on the plated pic! We would have loved to seen that goodness.

Palmetto

You just rubbed it and smoked it like a boston butt? Looks awesome! I have never tried this as I figured it would dry out.

Share your tips man! How long did you marinate it? Did you inject it? At what temp did you cook and what temp did you pull it?

droptine06

You just rubbed it and smoked it like a boston butt? Looks awesome! I have never tried this as I figured it would dry out.

Share your tips man! How long did you marinate it? Did you inject it? At what temp did you cook and what temp did you pull it?

Injected it and marinated about 36hrs before bringing it to room temp. I used a marinade that I mixed up with a mix of the store bought cajun creole butter marinade, allegro and some garlic powder, black and red pepper.

Cooked it 7 hrs at 215-225. To help prevent drying out, I basted with olive oil and seared the outside before smoking. Continued about every 30mins applying a vinegar/cider mix with some red and black pepper and garlic mixed in to the exterior of the meat. Kept a drip pan under the meat filled with apple juice. Inside was very moist, the exterior bark was a little tough. I removed some of the bigger pieces of the bark and fine chopped the rest in with the meat. Turned out great.

This is the third one I have done now, learn a little bit each time. First was a dried out disaster.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Looks great, bet it was tasty! I made the mistake of smoking one of those for thanksgiving many years ago. Now it's become an annual requirement. :bounce:

Sterlo58

Looks great. I drape some bacon across the top of mine to baste it and keep it from drying out.

droptine06

Looks great, bet it was tasty! I made the mistake of smoking one of those for thanksgiving many years ago. Now it's become an annual requirement. :bounce:

I hear ya, my uncle made the same "mistake" about 15years ago for Thanksgiving...15 smoked hams later the tradition continues.:bounce:

droptine06

Looks great. I drape some bacon across the top of mine to baste it and keep it from drying out.

Good idea, will give it a try. Got one more in the freezer I will cook at some point this summer. Will let you know how it works out. :cheers:

bigelow

Executive Chef at Billy's Bistro
front shoulders are good too now i am goint to have to try a ham ...........looks great

Kwaksmoka

I've thought about trying that, but cutting the meat off the bone first. Do you think that will make it dry out faster? Never smoked a ham before.

droptine06

I've thought about trying that, but cutting the meat off the bone first. Do you think that will make it dry out faster? Never smoked a ham before.

Not sure, always cooked em bone in. There's ways of keeping the meat moist if your worried about it to. Wrap in foil and as suggested above add bacon, pour some kind of marinade in with the meat in the foil wrap. There's some guys on hear that are WAY MORE edumacated on smokin meats than me. I just experiment personally til I find something I like or works.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I usually take the bone out of mine, inject, and top with bacon. I usually use a mop sauce on it while it's cooking, too.