food plots for bow season

lxbowhunter

broadcast shelled corn twice a week, start planting the plot 3-4 weeks before start of bow season. By opening morning they'll be there....lol

dick7.62

Peas,soy beans,wheat and oats and clover the 1st week of August. Pray for rain and if we do get rain they will be there by opening weekend of bow season. Broadcasting corn and using rice bran until the legal mark(two weeks out) will help too.

Don't plant your wheat, oats or clover in the first week of August. You are wasting your time and seed. No one else on this forum will recommend planting those 3 that early. Ask a real expert, don't take my word for it. Your county agent will be a good one to ask.

Chase4556

When would you suggest planting wheat, oats or clover then? I will be back in Georgia early in july, and need to figure out where I'm going to plant, and when.

Chase4556

So basically plant around the beginning of october like Gadestroyer said, but you just won't have a plot to hunt for the first half of the season. No problems there, I bow hunt all through rifle season too. Thanks for the info guys, I was going to try and plant in august, glad I saw this thread. I will wait now.

Chadx1981

Chase u can plant both if you want. You will be surprised how fast deer start hitting soybeans. Once they do that retill and seed whatever else you would like.

Forest Grump

So basically plant around the beginning of october like Gadestroyer said, but you just won't have a plot to hunt for the first half of the season. No problems there, I bow hunt all through rifle season too. Thanks for the info guys, I was going to try and plant in august, glad I saw this thread. I will wait now.

Cereal grains, clover or brassicas: Plant first week of October. (When there is imminent high % rain forecast within the following week).

But if you want something highly attractive for bow season, you can still plant peas or beans in your July or August window, (if there is any moisture available then to grow them, we'll see...), by late Sept. they will be eaten to stems. Mow over them, & till in the cool season plants right on top. Be even better to have planted those peas/beans earlier, so the deer could feed in them all summer.

Yeah that's right if you want a bow season plot Do as forest gump mentioned. Plant iron and clay peas heavy for bow season then Replant first of oct for the rest of the season.

Chase4556

Ok, I may do that. Get some peas and soybeans out, let them start munching away, then come back and reseed with some clover, oats, ect. and keep that going through the season.

Yep that's right. The only draw back will be to get rain on the beans hopefully it will work out. I plant wheat oats and rye grain I also have separate Durana white clover areas I like to keep my clover in its own plot where as its a perennial and use the wheat oats and rye in its own plots everyone has there own ways and mixes just what i do

MIKE RAINEY

In Middle Ga. we always plant our food plots on Labor Day weekend, last year we used Plot Spike. We have very good success planting this time of year. It is the week before bow season, so we are not in there during the season to mess with the deer with the tractors. They normaly come up in 10 to 14 days.

dick7.62

Well your county agent and others may tell you that but I do it my way and it works every year.Maybe I am just lucky but dang I guess I must be one lucky guy for it to work every year.Well anyways,Good Luck and I hope your plots turn out great and your season too! Good planting and good hunting!

bama my comments were directed at outdoorsman the OP in answer to his question. I wouldn't try to tell you anything because you already know more than all the UGA scientists and county agents in Georgia. We probably should include all the scientists and county agents in the southeast, including Alabama. The University of Alabama Cooperative Extension Service recommendations are slightly earlier than Georgia's (1-2 weeks) because Alabama averages almost 1 degree cooler and 8" more of rainfall per year than Georgia.

This is my first serious attempt at planting food plots. I dont like hunting over golden acorns for deer now hogs I will. I am going to go with the peas in mid August and probaly just top sow some grains when it cools off.

This is my first serious attempt at planting food plots. I dont like hunting over golden acorns for deer now hogs I will. I am going to go with the peas in mid August and probaly just top sow some grains when it cools off.

Make sure and do a soil test and get your soil amended to the proper oh if you can if not like minimum of 2000 pounds to be acre or so good luck there are alot of good people here to help forest gump and others know there stuff

mbrowland

I agree with the above not only will the soil test help you with lime amounts needed but it will help determine the fertilizer type and amount.