1938 A5 and paper shells

chase870

Possum Sox
From time to time to time I shoot birds with my Grandfathers A5, and paper shells when I can find them. He bought the Browning A5 brand new in 1938. I sure do miss the old man

Attachments

• 239.JPG
    239.JPG
    376.3 KB · Views: 719

duckone

Love seeing the classic Browning A5 with a Cutts compensator! I can sure understand how hunting with your granddad's shotgun would make the hunt even more special.

By the way, what brand of paper shells are you shooting?

Fishin & Hunting

Looks like you had a good day of dove hunting.

Do you shoot regular modern shell with it also? I have a 1929 A5 that I take every year to SD pheasant hunting. It was a gun my brother bought years ago. I don't get to hunt with it much since my son always claims it as his to hunt pheasants with. But I am not afraid to shoot (and do) modern high velocity shells out of it.

Attachments

• IMG_9594.jpg
    IMG_9594.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 528

MudDucker

Staff member
I have a couple of boxes of old paper hulled duck shot. Not going to shoot those.

I've got my A5 sweet 16. Don't shoot it now, but it has caused the death of many a bird and even a few deer and hogs.

Also have an A5 light 12. It was pristine until my mother let my brother in law borrow it. Dumbknuckle didn't clean it in a timely fashion and it has small rust pits now. Makes me want to slap da boy.

Both are Belgium.

Now I shoot with the newest A5. Not the same, but similar sight pattern.

chase870

Possum Sox
Yes I shoot modern shells in it as well if you mean plastic shells. The last batch of paper shells I bought were RST pigeon loads 3 3/4 drams of powder and a 1 1/4 oz of #8's is a little heavy for early season birds but the gun likes um and the smell of a fresh fired paper shells reminds me of the hours spent with my grand dad.

Lukikus2

Good stuff. Although not a Browning this one has had a few thousand thru it. Those hulls make excellent fire starters also.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 465

GAMHUNTER35

i got an old a5 16 gauge shoots the 2 1/2 shells but miss fires alot think the firing pin is messed up yall hav any info that might help

Doc_Holliday23

All of my A5's are from the 60's, but I wouldn't hesitate to shoot modern loads in an older A5. These things are solid steel... I doubt there's much that can tear one up bad.

I guess I understand if you have a sentimental gun you don't want to break, but even then, parts are widely available.

Nice gun Chase.