What is it??

rosewood

That looks like a troll to me in the pic. He is coming after his light sabre.

six

Hmm, I thought a screech owl was to blame for the screams. The Barred Owl says "who cooks for you". Do they have another vocalization?

They have a several vocalizations. I've heard what I would have bet money was a dog growl and bark, turned out to be a Barred owl on the ground. They will also scream, or some may describe it as a screech. If you don't know what it is, it's enough to make some people alter their course.

M80

Useles Billy’s Spiritual Counselor
I don't know but I've looked and looked at that picture. I don't think it's an owl cause there isn't a branch to hold it if it was that close unless he is flying. That branch in the back ground his eyes wouldn't be that far apart.
I don't know what it is, maybe someone dressed up in a suit trying to mess with you. Almost looks like it's toting a bag. Pretty spooky non the less

one time

I don't know but I've looked and looked at that picture. I don't think it's an owl cause there isn't a branch to hold it if it was that close unless he is flying. That branch in the back ground his eyes wouldn't be that far apart.
I don't know what it is, maybe someone dressed up in a suit trying to mess with you. Almost looks like it's toting a bag. Pretty spooky non the less

x2 I have been looking at this picture on and off the last few days and I am stumped on what that is that looks like a bag.I will say this is the first what is it post that has me this puzzled.

mikesjk8

The more I look at it the more it looks like a bat. That would explain why the branch isn't drooping because they're so lightweight.:confused:

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I was thinking a bat too. Whatever it is , it's spooky!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, I thought a screech owl was to blame for the screams. The Barred Owl says "who cooks for you". Do they have another vocalization?

Yes, a barred owl will sometimes make a loud, pure, hair-raising bloodcurdling scream that sounds just like the stereotypical "woman being killed." (As well as a plethora of other laughing, cackling, screeching, and whistling sounds.) I have heard and seen them do the hair-raising scream many times over the years. It's usually when something bothers them, used to hear it a lot when I was coon hunting and the dogs were running. I have never heard a screech owl scream, though. I have a pair of screech owls that have roosted in my backyard for years, I "talk" to them about every night.

jmharris23

I'm voting demon no doubt about it

rosewood

Yes, a barred owl will sometimes make a loud, pure, hair-raising bloodcurdling scream that sounds just like the stereotypical "woman being killed." (As well as a plethora of other laughing, cackling, screeching, and whistling sounds.) I have heard and seen them do the hair-raising scream many times over the years. It's usually when something bothers them, used to hear it a lot when I was coon hunting and the dogs were running. I have never heard a screech owl scream, though. I have a pair of screech owls that have roosted in my backyard for years, I "talk" to them about every night.

I can honestly say I have never looked at a Screech owl and heard him scream, nor have I done the same for a Barred Owl. I guess I was quoting from the years of what I have heard others say. Maybe all of those "screams" have been Barred owls and not Screech owls. It is amazing how we hear things repeated and eventually we believe they are true.

Rosewood