crossbow noise level question

oldfella1962

I'm going to hunt with an Xbow next season. It was going to be this season but it's a long story. Anyway, it will be a recurve Xbow (Excalibur) which I've been told are pretty loud. My issue is I live in a subdivision with about 15 feet between houses. Of course I shoot my traditional bows and my neighbors don't hear a thing, or see much because we have wooden privacy fences. So my question is will the xbow make enough noise to disturb my next door neighbors? I don't want to have to go to a range just to practice with it. How loud are recurve xbows compared to other sounds I know like a 22 rim-fire, chopping wood with an axe, etc?

GA native

I have an old Barnett Demon. Crossbows are not very loud. Not even as loud as chopping wood. Loud enough to spook the deer you're aiming at. But not loud enough to get Mrs Kravitz undies' in a twist. Just make sure you have a good backstop behind the target. If you have to talk to a cop, the backstop is all he is going to look at.

According to American Hunter magazine, crossbows average 77 db.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Have you already got the bow?

If so get someone to shoot it while you’re around the corner of your house. The sound will be about the same.