Ossabaw

tlee22

I just sent a message to BowArrow to find out how the hunt went. He is the only one on this forum who I knew that was going on the hunt. I did call Kilkenny marina and they are open for business.

tlee22

He replied that some of the areas that the bridges are still out. Down trees everywhere making it hard to hunt. Still a lot of deer and pigs but it is going to take a lot of hard work finding them and getting them out. The weather was also extremely hot. Sounded like his group hunted Thursday and left Friday morning. I did get drawn for the February hog hunt.

tetonbrandy

A few questions guys
1) Can you carry a pistol during the hunt
2) How do you get you deer and or hogs from the cooler to the landing on the day you are leaving if you are pulling a trash can, game cart, etc?
3) Ever heard of any issues of theft while you are out hunting. I am trying to figure out if it would be a good idea to take my RTIC cooler.
Thanks for your help

tlee22

1) if you are on the gun hunt I think you can carry a pistol. but someone else may answer that questions better.
2) we always qtr everything up and put in cooler to take it back. You don't want a dead pig or deer in that heat on a long boat ride with all the flies and everything else on it. Get it on ice.
3) We have not had any problems with theft over the years but we do put everything with high value in our tent before we go out and we do leave a trail camera in the tent turned on locked to my big box in case some one tries. lol

Mark R

Archery hunt done . Not seeing any happy results posted on here . Anybody have good luck or good times on Ossabaw 2017 or is it that bad ?

Last edited:

tlee22

I am going down tomorrow and will post what I find out over the week. It should cool down pretty good for the hunt at least Thursday and Friday.

tlee22

Around 70 hunters showed. First day 25 deer and 5 pigs. I got a nice doe this morning and a pig this afternoon. Not seeming hardly any pig sign which is not the normal for the area I was in. Will send another update tomorrow.

tlee22

We left at noon today. I am guessing around 50 deer and 8 pigs of any size were killed. I know there were 4 or 5 piglets killed but did not count them. I ended with one doe and lost another one to the gators. I did kill a nice sow and boar. My dad almost step on the biggest rattle snake I have ever seen. The dnr have really put dent on the pigs. I also think the deer population is way up because of it. I saw around 30 deer and 6 piglets and one other nice pig that I could not catch up with. I would say 80% of the hunters did not see pigs. A guy on my route did kill a nice 8pt that weighed 109lbs. Areas 39 to 42 are still closed and I am guessing will be closed for the next few hunts. Make sure you take 100% deet. My thermocell could not keep the bugs off me. Had to use deet every 3 hours. Still lots of trees down beside on the back side of the island. The DNR were great and very friendly. I had a great time and glad to have the meat.

tlee22

one guy did pretty good in the walkin area for deer. Got a buck and a Doe. Not many people hunted the walk in area.

breadfan

Any reports from the January hog hunt? I'm going on the second one Feb 14th and was wondering about the animals being seen and the condition of the island.

ehunt

Well, our group got drawn for the dec. 2018 hunt. Can’t wait. This will make my 4th trip to the island. Sounds like the pig numbers are down from the past. But our “areas” have always produced for us. Hope see some of y’all there this year.

breadfan

We got drawn for the Dec hunt also. It will be my 13th trip to the island. After a very hot hog hunt last Feb, I am hoping for some cooler weather. I cannot remember the last time it was cool for the entire hunt.

cuintheriver

Jeff here. Got picked for the PW Hunt Oct. 25-27. First trip and I'll be solo. Anybody else on here showing up?
Also, does anyone have the boundary map they are willing to share? Just want to get my bearings before check-in. Also, any locations that tend to be better would be much appreciated. Feel free to message me.

tlee22

There are 2 or 3 changes that are not shown on this map. I know area 40 was one of them. Good luck we fished around the island last week and really missed that place.

Attachments

• ossabaw_hunt _map.pdf
    194.4 KB · Views: 38