Bear Grizzly

2wheelfoster

Got a call from my dad the other day. A friend of his was going to give him a old bow he had. Turns out it is a right handed Grizzly. Since my dad is a lefty it made it's way to McDonough. I am guessing it is a 1970-77 Grizzly AMO is 58" and it says it's 50#. I removed the old rest and there is a handwritten 53 above the shelf:confused:. it is in good shape, some minor scratches, no stress cracks or anything. Just a slight twist in the lower limb...nothing that I am worried about. Looks like it had a quiver attached at one point since it had this metal plate attached to the stabilizer hole that wrapped around the side and some of the green is worn off the top of the riser. Now the question is to refinish or not...:rolleyes: Here are some pics.

Attachments

• DSC06271.jpg
    DSC06271.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 314
  • DSC06272.jpg
    DSC06272.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 313
  • DSC06273.jpg
    DSC06273.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 306
  • DSC06274.jpg
    DSC06274.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 326
  • DSC06275.jpg
    DSC06275.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 313

PAPALAPIN

If the bow is solid it will make a good hunter. Instead of refinishing it, spot some camo paint on it here and there.

That metal plate you are talking about is hard to find. Many collectors and guys that like to use the Bear quiver would love to get it. Don't discard it.

Matter of fact, I may have an extra 8 arrow quiver that would work with that plate if you are interested.

2wheelfoster

That may interest me! If you can post a pic that would be great. The string is in great shape also. Hopefully I will get it out and shoot it in the morning.

TNGIRL

Robert, that's a fine bow. A sister to the one that Jeff gave me and I shoot alot. The finish on yours is messed up, and if you feel the need then go ahead and refinish it. I think you'll feel prouder of it if you do, it'd look nice once you do. But it'll shoot the same, and if a hunting bow you want, then it's looks are second to it's actions.:cool:

BkBigkid

Slap a Shelf Material on it and shoot it,
Make it a hunting Bow and Enjoy it,

that one spot it the only trouble, It just shows some history of the Bow, Looks Good enough to Enjoy Many many more years of shooting to me.

stick-n-string

That is a great bow! It is identical to the bow I shoot! I got my first traditional deer with it last year!

2wheelfoster

Slap a Shelf Material on it and shoot it,
Make it a hunting Bow and Enjoy it,

that one spot it the only trouble, It just shows some history of the Bow, Looks Good enough to Enjoy Many many more years of shooting to me.

That is my plan right now. Going to sling some arrows from it tomorrow and see what it likes. I have several old Bear Razorheads that I am thinking will shoot great with my GT3555's or I may try the Zwickey Delta's that are 170 gr's.

Either way I can't wait!:fine:

BkBigkid

They are Great shooters,
I won't get rid of mine, the limbs are twisted in two different directions. My grizzly was my starter bow I have shot more arrows through it than anything else I have. If i have to grab a bow in a hurry and go I grab my trusty Grizzly. I need to pull it out and put a few through it. Maybe tomorrow?

it Likes a little Hump in the middle of the Shelf.

2wheelfoster

Thanks for the info on the "hump". Just got done putting the shelf material on it. Now I got to wait till tomorrow.

Raineman

The finish on your bow is NOT messed up!!

That is called "sap wood". It is part of the maple that had sap in it and the futurewood process did not take to that section of wood. Futurewood was Bear's impregnated maple dying process that they used, where they forced the dye into the wood with extreme pressure to get the colors.

The "sap wood" bows are some of the best looking bows that came out. They are each different, unique unto themselves, and I think have the most character of all.

I would NOT refinish that bow, there is nothing wrong with it.

Also, as PAPA mentioned, hold on to that little bracket. When you need one, they can be very hard to locate.

2wheelfoster

Thanks for the informaiton.... the more I looked at it, I noticed that the finish was not worn off in that area. That makes sense now. Thanks again!!!

Fishin & Hunting

Nice looking bow, have you thought about trying to get the twist out of the bow? I have done it on three bow, and only one didn't take.

longbowdave1

nice bow robert! we have had a few recent threads on straightening limb twist under running warm tap water. it was also in one of the issues of traditional bowhunter magizine. do a search on the threads of this forum, it's easy to fix and will just make that bow a little sweeter to shoot!

dave

2wheelfoster

I strung the bow this morning...after giving the lower limb a twist. It is good and straight while strung. Now I need to figure out what the correct brace height is. I am thinking that the string that came with it is a new one and needs to stretch a bunch! Or I may be calling BKBigKid for a new one.

2wheelfoster

Thanks Brian! It will be next Thursday or Friday before I get a chance to string it up and fling a few...Got to fly out of town for work on Monday:banginghe Can't wait to try it out.