Legal Draw weight for Hunting

abrannon

I want to know if there is a minimum Draw weight for Bow hunting in Georgia.

A friend of mine was buying arrows for his sons bow at Academy Sports in Macon , and he was told that the Bow was not legal to hunt with in GA. I do not remember the brand, but it is a 45 or 50# draw compound bow.

I did not see any weight requirement in the reg.

shadow2

seems like i remember reading something about 45lbs

Larry Rooks

It USED to be 45 lbs, but there is NO minimum requirement on draw weight anymore. You can use a 20 pounder and be legal now, though not reccomended

shadow2

It USED to be 45 lbs, but there is NO minimum requirement on draw weight anymore. You can use a 20 pounder and be legal now, though not reccomended

thanks for the update.

Lostoutlaw

This is funny I was told the same thing at the Army navy in Stockbridge well I called the DNR office even went thur four different people and they all said there is NO DRAW Limit on Bows in GEORGIA>>>>

Lostoutlaw

and there is NO WT. LIMIT so the way it looks you could go to the woods with a childs practice bow and kill ya a DEER

WSB

No min. requirement, but the guys at Shulers and Wilder Outdoors recommend nothing under 35 #.

Last edited:

toddboucher

No limit but I would say 40 would be a min. But who knows I was watching tv and a young boy shot a bear with a 42 pound bow. The bear only went 70 yards!!!!!

I was told many years ago with a 50 pound bow keep shots @ 20yards but bows are different today.

WSB

No limit but I would say 40 would be a min. But who knows I was watching tv and a young boy shot a bear with a 42 pound bow. The bear only went 70 yards!!!!!

I was told many years ago with a 50 pound bow keep shots @ 20yards but bows are different today.

Yeah bows are better now, my wife's Mathews is set at 40 # and she's shootin tight groups at 20 yds.

Wishin I was Fishin

last i heard (many a moon ago) it was 45 but there may not be one... but if i gotta reach out and touch one then my 65 lbs will be ready ;)

weathermantrey

When I was a kid I busted my first deer with a bow set on 34lbs. My girlfriend is shooting a bow right now that's set on 42lbs and she's killed 8 deer with it over the last 3 years. Most of them complete pass throughs...