Squirrel dog help.

Tadpole23

I just got a brindle cur she is right at a year old. I walk her in the woods and she ranges out good and runs at squirrels but hasn't started barking at them yet. I'm looking for somebody else to run her with or a squirrel pen to put her in. Any suggestions?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
yep. Go buy a nice pair of really comfortable boots. Every afternoon, and what mornings you can, put on the boots. Get a gun, and take the dog to the woods. Sooner or later she is gonna run across a real hot trail and see that sqwerl run up a tree. When that happens, and she barks the least little bit, shoot that sqwerl out to her. If she doesn't bark, don't shoot the sqwerl.

Rinse, and repeat as often as possible. When it is time to replace those new boots, you will have a decent sqwerl dog, if she is going to make one. Some never do.

I don't like putting a dog in a sqwerl pen or hunting with other dogs after they know what we are chasing. Sqwerl pens and other dogs just create problems you will have to overcome later in her training.

Oh yeah... before you shoot any sqwerl out to her, tie her back at the tree. Get her in the habit. Nothing good happens with an untied dog under a tree while shooting out a sqwerl

greg_n_clayton

What Pappy said. I like to knock the first squrriels out alive though if possible if my dog is gritty. I like for the dog to get his nose chewed on a little and make it hate what it is chasing !!

Tadpole23

I'm off Monday thru Thursday so I can have her in the woods a lot. She should catch on quick she is a smart dog just never had one not want to bark

sljones

Like they said, keep her in the woods where there are squirrels. Curs are not as tight lipped as some feists. If you could trap a squirrel & pull the trap up the tree & get her to bark at it. If she does, give her a lot of encouragement & praise. Don't offer her another caged squirrel after that. If she has it in her, the light will come on at some point. It's all fun when that happens. Run it by itself & let it progress at it's own pace. Some are quicker than others. In my opinion, one of the worst mistakes you can make is take an untrained dog with a trained one. And don't reward her with a shot out squirrel unless she barks at it. Good luck.