How big???

Redbeard01

While hunting on a middle GA WMA, I have been seeing some rubs around a couple of wallows that were pretty tall. Just curious, how large of a hog would it take to rub a tree this high?

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
You're gonna need a bigger gun.

Redbeard01

How big?

Seeing the rubs that I saw a week or so ago around another wallow close by that were about 4" higher than my waist made me decide to swap my 22 mag for my 270!!! After seeing this one, I am quite sure I made the right decision!!!
I am seeing a ton of fresh sign, all back in the thick stuff, but am not seeing any pigs and not hearing any except occasionally right at dark. They have reacted to pressure and have become pretty much nocturnal. The only ones that I have seen have been in reed cane and bamboo briar so thick that you could hardly move in it.
This is the first year that I have spent much time hunting them and am learning a lot. Hopefully, I will get lucky sooner or later and find one out in the open enough to get a shot. Any suggestions?? I could use all the help that I can get! I have deer hunted all my life and am really enjoying getting out and trying to find the pigs.

panfish

This WMA.. is it having a deer hunt? Or a pig hunt? Because they not let us use big game gun up hear.

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
This WMA.. is it having a deer hunt? Or a pig hunt? Because they not let us use big game gun up hear.

If that WMA has a fur bearer season, then centerfire weapons are allowed for bobcat and fox during small game dates open from Dec 1 to Feb 28.

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
Seeing the rubs that I saw a week or so ago around another wallow close by that were about 4" higher than my waist made me decide to swap my 22 mag for my 270!!! After seeing this one, I am quite sure I made the right decision!!!
I am seeing a ton of fresh sign, all back in the thick stuff, but am not seeing any pigs and not hearing any except occasionally right at dark. They have reacted to pressure and have become pretty much nocturnal. The only ones that I have seen have been in reed cane and bamboo briar so thick that you could hardly move in it.
This is the first year that I have spent much time hunting them and am learning a lot. Hopefully, I will get lucky sooner or later and find one out in the open enough to get a shot. Any suggestions?? I could use all the help that I can get! I have deer hunted all my life and am really enjoying getting out and trying to find the pigs.

Hunt the thickest stuff you can find. Cane, bamboo, palmetto and 5-10 year old cutovers. I used to carry small clippers to cut vines and briars out of the way, but I've gotten to where I hunt the edges more.

Rich Kaminski

Are you sure thats a rub?

If that area is near a river that overflows, it might just be the result of rising water levels. I have a hunting spot that looks just like that and everytime the river overflows - the trees look like that.

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
If that area is near a river that overflows, it might just be the result of rising water levels. I have a hunting spot that looks just like that and everytime the river overflows - the trees look like that.

Looks like a rub to me. The mud is fairly fresh and the palmettos and trees in the background do not have any mud on them. Tusk marks near the edge of the mud line as well.

Redbeard01

How big?

This area is over a half mile from the river and covered up with hogs. Problem is that they have moved into the thickets and become nocturnal.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
This is bout as high as any I’ve found........notice the slash marks above the end of the barrel