Could use some help finishing a Christmas gift

Tugboat1

In the middle of making a magnetic knife holder for a chef friend of mine and discover my ol' router has given up the ghost. Ok. No prob. Run over to a buddies metal shop to use his drill press and it seizes up? Come on, you gotta be kidding me. I need a 1" wide X 34 long channel in a piece of hickory, leaving 1/16th of material, to get this gift finished. Any suggestions before I break out a wood chisel and try to fudge it. I live in Duluth/Lilburn/Lawrenceville. Anyone know a cabinet shop perhaps that could bail me out?

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I don't know of a shop close to you. Try google. I'd think they might do it for little to no charge. If you were close to conyers I'd help you out. Do you have a table saw? May be a circular saw making several passes then chisel smooth

Jim Baker

Staff member
Your going to have 1/16" left on the walls of the channel or the bottom.

Either way that is a pretty close tolerance for anything other than a good router table with a good fence.

Artfuldodger

Yeah, I think you are going to need a router mounted under a table.
I'd just take it to a cabinet shop.

I have a router attachment for a Dremel. I also have a Mini-router. I'd still rather have a table mount to do what you need doing. You're going to need a way to control the depth.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Something else if you use a router table. Use a 3/8" bit make a pass down the center and work out to the edges with subsequent passes if the walls are going to be 1/16".

Make several shallow passes if you are leaving the bottom of the trough 3/16" thick. Don't try to cut it all out on one pass.

If you already know this I apologize.

Tugboat1

Thanks for the input gentlemen

Tugboat1

That's really kind and appreciated. I've been shaving it out with my Dremel. It's a piece of hickory so it's slow go. I'll get it done in time I think. Merry Christmas all.

chadf

That's really kind and appreciated. I've been shaving it out with my Dremel. It's a piece of hickory so it's slow go. I'll get it done in time I think. Merry Christmas all.

I know it’s past Christmas but I can help if it’s not completed