Minor water damage on ceiling

Buford_Dawg

3 spots about size of a coffee mug bottom. Slightly stained, noticeable. Found and corrected the leak upstairs. Ceiling has dried now. Do I just try to match up the ceiling paint and paint over the spots? There are like 100 shades of white, LOL, I am learning. Thoughts?

Killdee

I repair a lot of ceiling leaks, to cover the stain I use oil based primer and 2-3 coats. You can buy a can of up spray if your careful. Ceilings are usually contractor grade paint so I keep a gallon of Sherwin Williams 400 and several other ceiling paints,it often matches well enough, sometimes you have to paint the whole ceiling.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Try a bleach solution 1/3 bleach, 2/3 water. Dip and ring sponge the press sponge against stained area. Let is dry and redo if necessary.

I did this when a vent pipe collar failed. Didn't get rid of all the stain but made it only noticeable if you knew where to look.

My ceiling is a "knock down" texture.

DannyW

You can buy a can of up spray if your careful.

For a small job as you describe, I have used Up-Shot with success. It's cheap, quick and easy so I would try it first. If the result is not satisfactory then you can dig out the brushes or rollers. A can only costs a few bucks and it may save you a lot of trouble.

But as Killdee says, be careful. Practice first to get an idea of the volume and force of the spray, it's easy to over spray, and lay an old sheet over any furniture below the area to be painted.

drenalin08

Try a bleach solution 1/3 bleach, 2/3 water. Dip and ring sponge the press sponge against stained area. Let is dry and redo if necessary.

I did this when a vent pipe collar failed. Didn't get rid of all the stain but made it only noticeable if you knew where to look.

My ceiling is a "knock down" texture.

Worked for me too.

rospaw

For a small job as you describe, I have used Up-Shot with success. It's cheap, quick and easy so I would try it first. If the result is not satisfactory then you can dig out the brushes or rollers. A can only costs a few bucks and it may save you a lot of trouble.

But as Killdee says, be careful. Practice first to get an idea of the volume and force of the spray, it's easy to over spray, and lay an old sheet over any furniture below the area to be painted.

This!!! ^^^^^
It will work very well. Even if you have to re-coat the ceiling with paint you will HAVE TO have a primer / blocker down first and the Kills up-shot rattle can works wonders. You can buy it anywhere including walmart. You will be surprised after it drys completely on how good it blends.