What is Hornady 308 168 gr z-max?

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Merry Christmas and happy new year ya'll!!!!!!!!!!!

We got out finally yesterday to shoot and zero in the wifes new 308!
Great shooting the Sako it's a dream!!

So....we had a bag of misc boxes of shelf 308 ammo...different makes different grains. And we took 3 shot groups with all of them allowing the barrel plenty of time to maintain close to consistant cool temp.

The rifle liked an old box of zombiemax ammo I had bought years ago. My range behind the house is 96 yards and we covered a 4 shot group with a dime and a 3 shot group with a dime with the 168gr z-max.
A close 2nd place was Nosler Custom 165gr ballistic tip. They were grouping less than an inch also...very satisfactory! But the z-max was just mind blowing!

So... question is...now that there is no zombie ammo for sale in stores...What is Hornady's 168 z-max? I was always under the impression that it was just a green tipped sst. BUT now I see after online shopping for them this morning the sst is 165 gr for 308.
What do we buy now that is the exact same thing as the zombie 168 gr z-max?
Or is the exact same thing available?
I'm assuming that these are expandable hunting bullets but I'm not even positive on that.

Thanks for any and all advice!!!!!!!!!!!:flag::cool:

sea trout

I'm checkin online with my hillbilly computer skills and it looks like they are an A-max?

sea trout

Now I read somthing that say's the 168gr A-max is a match bullet made for target practice!!!!???????????

sea trout

Confirmed thanks man!

ryanh487

I had always thought the z-max rifle rounds were their v-max varmint loads with green tips, not a-max.

sea trout

Well just to stay on the safe side we went back and rezeroed the scope for the nosler customs 165 ballistic tips. they are getting 1 inch groups at 96 yards and we got plenty of them. But they're not getting .25 inch groups like the zombie bullets were. We only had a few more zombie bullets after the other day of zeroing the scope for them.

deast1988

Zmax, zombie slayers.

Amax kill the fire out of deer, they fell into inconsistent expansion. I believe they were the first ballistic tip Hornady made he wanted a hunting round with a plastic tip. They are a match grade bullet. Back in the early 2000s they were marketed to medium/light skin game. As more loads came out they started marketing other bullets to hunters.

The zmax was a fad, they offered it as specialty round I saw some people kill hogs an stuff with them.

The grain 168gr tells me Amax since they don't offer a SST in that weight.

Jester896

Senior Clown
maybe you can find something loaded with the newer ELD-X bullet in 165s that may perform close since the Balistic Tip don't do that well. GameKings in 165 may work well too.

I think there may have bee some problems with the A-Max and the tip deforming. The newer ones have a darker red tip...all I have seen are the 208 ELD-Ms. I still have a couple of boxes in 208 gr that I run.

Buckhead

Try 168 gr Federal Gold Medal Match. That is the most accurate factory ammo in all of my .308s. Nothing comes close. Although not intended for hunting, works fine on whitetails. The match bullets don’t really expand, but penetrate well and do a lot of internal damage. Deer go down quickly, just the same. Wouldn’t use for Elk or such, but fine on a typical Georgia deer.