Favorite lure list

Coenen

Man I am with You! I had a number of years of frustration with jigs. Funny story how I learned them.

I had some bad back issues for a couple months, and I really couldn't move or work a moving bait. So I started flipping jigs, and did really well once I slowed down about 1000%.

The only reason I slowed down was because I couldn't access much water. It blew my mind a bass would stare at a motionless jig for 30 seconds THEN eat it.

I pump my jigs and count to 10 to 15 before I even shake em. After I started doing that I started catching on jigs.
Good advice here.

For a fish that is often thought of as being an aggressive biter, they can be surprisingly deliberate. Especially big fish. I missed a chance at a monster this spring because I couldn't just let my jig soak. We spotted her up shallow from a long way off, made a good shot from distance, and had her staring at it. Then(like a dope), I hopped the jig. Fish spooked, out of there like a shot, game over.

Then again, if you can get a BIG largemouth to line up and really take a whack at something near the surface, it is a site to behold. That slowness is still the key though, at that size, I guess they're too lazy to chase anything.

TripleXBullies

I have spent at least two hours on two separate occasions in my like fishing ONLY a natural colored jig and trailer. It was over the past several months so it wasn't all that cold. I was definitely moving them a little faster. I'll have to bring only jigs a few times and force myself.....

seeker

Question for the moderators. How did the original poster of this thread, Woodyyy, and another poster, IKfish, get themselves banned with only one and six post?

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Mine are in no particular order because what I throw depends on season. Anyway, here goes:

1) Zoom trick worm (they work all the time, EVERY time, and anywhere and any way you can think to fish them. I mostly either use them weightless, or on the shakey head)

2) Rapala original floating minnow

3)buzz bait

4) Ribbon Tail worm on Texas rig (Zoom Mag II, Berkely power worm, Zoom U tail. Junebug color gets bit EVERY TIME)

5) rapala countdown minnow

6) beetle spin/rooster tail

7) lipless crankbaits

8) Bold bluegill roboworm on drop shot

9) Shakey head (I only use straight tail worms on it)

10) Yellow Magic Japanese popper or Lobina RICO popper. The yellow magic when they want it fished fast, and the RICO when they want it slow.

Just for good measure, here's a few I DON'T like that I guess i just never figured out even if I caught a fish or two on some of them:

1) Bass jigs
2) Senko
3)Spinnerbaits
4)Chatterbait
5)Jerkbaits

Last edited:

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Good advice here.

For a fish that is often thought of as being an aggressive biter, they can be surprisingly deliberate. Especially big fish. I missed a chance at a monster this spring because I couldn't just let my jig soak. We spotted her up shallow from a long way off, made a good shot from distance, and had her staring at it. Then(like a dope), I hopped the jig. Fish spooked, out of there like a shot, game over.

Then again, if you can get a BIG largemouth to line up and really take a whack at something near the surface, it is a site to behold. That slowness is still the key though, at that size, I guess they're too lazy to chase anything.
You Make a great point. Most of the biggest bass are caught on things that were either in one general area or BARELY moving in place when they hit. Jigs are the #1 big fish bait and plastic worms are #2. My two biggest bass were caught on a shakey head and they both bit when it was sitting still. In fact, Most Bites you get on any of the three whether it be a jig, Texas rig, or shakey head come when the lure is at rest.

Teh Wicked

Crankbait
Emerald Popper
Magic Swimmer
Crankbait
crankbait

#1 Senk t rig.
#2 Spinnerbait grub trailer
#3 Bagley bulsa spintail
#4 Jig Craw trailer
#5 Keitech Fat Impact on a weighted hook 1/8th oz

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Where is the data supporting this as fact? I'm not say it's not true, I'd just like to see where it is shown as fact.

It's become pretty common knowledge with most techniques. You'll hear most guys saying whatever lure is being used gets most of the hits as its falling or sitting on bottom during the retrieve, Like a senko or fluke. Personally, I don't get many fish as I'm working a lure unless I'm doing a straight retrieve or burning it. Otherwise, most of my bites come during a pause after giving the bait some action. An example is ripping a lipless crank. You get some on the rip, but most strikes as it falls back down. With A worm or jig, you usually get bit as it falls or on a pause when you drag or hop it. With A senko or trick worm, they get bit right as you pause them as well.

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
I'd like to add the ned rig to the favorite lures list too. I've been forced to fish it seriously now that it's gotten cold, and it's the only thing getting bit right now next to a shaky head