Crooked Creek Bridge

olcaptain

Max and I have become addicted to our 30 + foot deep fishing hole at the Crooked Creek Bridge.

q8ywBuz.jpg

This morning we had a great time paddling out and back.
LnrLbBn.jpg

hBqQDqK.jpg

While there we were joined by our friend Dick Joyner and as you can see, Max did a bit of Bow Hopping!

Va7wsj4.jpg

VGxYCWz.jpg

5nStyI7.jpg

tQrI5GK.jpg

We kept four fish for the frying pan. Dick accounted for two and Max and I caught one apiece!

Aeb9t15.jpg

JzKfA7Z.jpg

We hope that you enjoy this morning’s simple story and photos.

kx7OgJ4.jpg

Max and I want to wish you all a very Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
olcaptain,

I am also addicted just like you and Max BUT I am addicted to reading about all of your fantastic exploits and being able to see the absolute beauty of your "slice of Heaven".

You and Maxx are one heck of a team together and I love the details of each encounter. The actual photos included makes me do a lot of day-dreaming of being right there with the two of you in such an awesome setting.

Thank You for sharing this with all of us.

I wish a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS to your entire family and please know that my continued Prayers are being sent up for Chad as well. ::;::;::;::;::;::;

olcaptain

olcaptain,

I am also addicted just like you and Max BUT I am addicted to reading about all of your fantastic exploits and being able to see the absolute beauty of your "slice of Heaven".

You and Maxx are one heck of a team together and I love the details of each encounter. The actual photos included makes me do a lot of day-dreaming of being right there with the two of you in such an awesome setting.

Thank You for sharing this with all of us.

I wish a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS to your entire family and please know that my continued Prayers are being sent up for Chad as well. ::;::;::;::;::;::;

Thank you so much for your prayers. Chad had an MRI this week and while the Cancer in his liver hasn't grown, it hasn't shrunk either. In my opinion, that is a praise. He has a CT scan next week on his lungs because he has a few spots there as well. He is a fighter (39 months to date) and as he approaches his 42nd birthday next moth, we all appreciate everyone's love and prayers!

NugeForPres

Merry Christmas, Cap. Your stories are a welcome relief from the craziness of the world. I look forward to each one.

Bream Pole

Merry christmas

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Great pics and story, thanks for sharing...I have caught a heap of crappie in that area through the years.

Merry Christmas!

Teh Wicked

Is that really the name of the bridge? I looked it up and couldn't find it.

olcaptain

Is that really the name of the bridge? I looked it up and couldn't find it.

Crooked Creek Road-Eatonton, Ga

Go under the bridge from my side and then to the right and you will soon be at Crooked Creek Marina.

Teh Wicked

Crooked Creek Road-Eatonton, Ga

Go under the bridge from my side and then to the right and you will soon be at Crooked Creek Marina.

Oh nice, is that a public boat ramp? I been looking for areas to visit further south of the Redlands area I visited this past weekend. I was able to catch my first blue cat and this early spring I would like to get back down there one morning with a little deeper water to work with.

ThomasCobb123

I have a question for you Mr. Horace, sir.
I am very proficient at filleting thousands of bass and crappie and large bluegills, over the years, with an electric knife. Using the "down the side, flip it over and off with the skin" routine. I just never messed around with catfish though.
Can I use the same technique to clean catfish?
I hate bones, thus my addiction to the filleting technique.
Caught some good eating size catfish (3-4 pounds) this summer while fishing for brim with catalpa worms and just released them. I know they're good eating but I don't want to do a lot of fooling around with skinning them and all that.
If the same filleting method will work on them, I'm in business.
Your comments appreciated.
I like your stories, by the way. Good reads.

Last edited:

olcaptain

I have a question for you Mr. Horace, sir.
I am very proficient at filleting thousands of bass and crappie and large bluegills, over the years, with an electric knife. Using the "down the side, flip it over and off with the skin" routine. I just never messed around with catfish though.
Can I use the same technique to clean catfish?
I hate bones, thus my addiction to the filleting technique.
Caught some good eating size catfish (3-4 pounds) this summer while fishing for brim with catalpa worms and just released them. I know they're good eating but I don't want to do a lot of fooling around with skinning them and all that.
If the same filleting method will work on them, I'm in business.
Your comments appreciated.
I like your stories, by the way. Good reads.

I personally skin mine first but I know others who don't. Your technique should work fine. I have found that the Blue Cats are harder to skin than a Channel Cat.

REUSSERY

yes, you can fillet out cats using the same technique but, the blue cat's skin tends to bunch up (if its a large fillet) under the knifes blade when cutting away the skin, so I've found by filleting off 3 or 4" long chunks of meat works best see diagram..

Attachments

• fillet.png
    fillet.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 412

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Catfish are easier to fillet than crappie or bass, only way to do catfish IMO. (Except for flatheads, they have a different bone structure.) I never understood why people work themselves to death skinning cats when you can skin a fillet in a few seconds with the knife. Usually takes me maybe a minute or two to fillet and skin an "eating-size" channel or blue cat. I just use a regular fillet knife, I'm sure an electric would work just as well. On the bigger ones, there's also a lot of belly meat. We run jugs a lot and sometimes get 25-30 cats a night, from little to big. Two of us can usually fillet a whole mess like that in about half an hour or so.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I do most of my catfishing in Clarks Hill. :) My favorite lake up here would probably be Fontana.