Springfield 911 .380

Big7

The Oracle
No.. :D

georgia_home

going after the sig 238 market. i like that and the 938 as well, but the sig versions are a little $$$.

if your buying decisions are effected by 2a politics, remember springfield and their scheme in the IL legislature.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I can already tell you I don't like it. If you're gonna tote a 1911, tote one that uses real ammo. ::ke:

Big7

The Oracle
It's NOT a 1911 folks.
Don't claim to be.

Go back and read.. Real slow.

transfixer

Trying to compete with the Sig 238, main difference I see is he Springfield is a good bit lighter, almost 13oz versus 20oz for the Sig, I really liked the 238 Spartan version and considered buying one for a while, but couldn't see the price. I'm sure the Springfield is a fine gun, just like the rest of the Springfield line, I think they'll have better luck with it if they will drop that price about $150.

I don't see the need for another single action .380, they don't do anything significantly better than a polymer double action like the Ruger LCP , and will require cocking before using , unless you carry cocked and locked? Which I wouldn't want to do unless in a holster, and having a pistol that small in a holster defeats the whole reason for carrying one that small . If I am going somewhere or dressed in such a way that I can't reasonably carry something bigger, then my lcp goes in a pocket, and I don't have to worry about safeties, cocking, or accidental discharges.

ryanh487

If i'm carrying .380, i'm perfectly happy with my $200 LCP.

Too many reliable compact 9's once you break the $300 mark.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
I can already tell you I don't like it. If you're gonna tote a 1911, tote one that uses real ammo. ::ke:

It wouldn't be a carrying gun for me. If I am going to carry a pocket pistol I'll carry my S&W Bodyguard. I just like pistols and thought i might like to add this to my collection

Robert28

Why not the Colt Mustang? You can pick those up for 5 bones these days, easily. If I ever buy a .380 it'll likely be one of those.

Dub

I carry a Sig P938 in a pocket holster and also a IWB at times.

7 rounds of 9mm police loads with a spare magazine.

Hardly know its there.

I'm a fan of Springfield 1911's, but I'm mighty pleased with the Sig P938.

mark-7mag

Hardly know its there.

Do you have the Mag extender ? I have a s&w Shield that fits perfect. I know the P938 is considerably smaller and wonder how it would feel with big hands

FROGSLAYER

If it's anything like the P238/Colt Mustang, it's a great little "1911 Style" gun. I love my 238, and yes I carry cocked and locked. I prefer this over the black guns because of the quick trigger (short pull) and external safety. You may hate it for that. Buy what you like. I do like the look of it. To me, it looks almost exactly like a 1911 other than the safety does not nest up in the slide like a 1911. :huh: :pop:

Last edited:

Dub

Do you have the Mag extender ? I have a s&w Shield that fits perfect. I know the P938 is considerably smaller and wonder how it would feel with big hands

Big hands hombre here, too.

The tiny little 9mm actually does fit large handed folks pretty well.

One of my favorite carry guns is this P226 Carry model.

Even though the little P938 is closer in function to a 1911....it does share some similarities to the P226.

I am a fan of Sig's night sights. They work well at the range and in low light. The P938 has the same sights as my trusty P226 Carry.

One thing that Sig did right with this little gun was making it very, very "grippy". The side panels are really sticky and bite in your paw.

I wish the frontstrap of my P226 Carry had the additional vertical cuts that the P938 has. This yields an excellent checkered gripping surface that the bigger gun would benefit from, too. Luckily my P226 has some very aggressive grips that anchor it nicely in hand.

One other feature of this particular model of P938 is the G10 backstrap insert. It also helps to anchor this little gun in hand.....even with the +P+ loads I carry in it.

The sights, trigger, capacity & fast 7 round reload bumped my trusted S&W 442 outa lightweight carry job.

This thing carries great in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster with a spare in the other pocket.....in drawstring gym pants. :cheers:

mark-7mag

Thanks Dub! I’m getting closer to pulling the trigger on buying the P938. I value you’re opinion on pistols as much as I do on food. I just want to shoot one 1st. I was going to do so at a local indoor range today but they were closed due to the weather

Dub

Thanks Dub! I’m getting closer to pulling the trigger on buying the P938. I value you’re opinion on pistols as much as I do on food. I just want to shoot one 1st. I was going to do so at a local indoor range today but they were closed due to the weather

Thank you, sir.

I guess I should've cleaned up the little 938 before taking pics of it. Lost of pocket lint all over it. The gun gets carried often.

I was very skeptical of these guns when they came out.

First, I have to admit to being a bit apprehensive over a cocked & locked mini-1911 in my pocket.

I also couldn't see how a pistol that small would work in my hand. I assumed slide bite and slippage would be bad.

These prior aversions became none-issues once I handled one in the store. Force required to disable the safety is substantial. It takes a deliberate thumb swipe to click it off. There is a very decisive click. I locked the slide back and was still a bit skeptical at the clearance from my paw....slide bite looked likely. Asked salesman if this was a common complaint. He said he'd sold several of them and folks always came back with positive comments later on....no complaints of slide bite.

Grew on me bigtime when I finally shot one.....a rental at a local range...just like you mentioned doing. I did a side by side comparison to my S&W 442 at 3ys, 5yds and just for grins went out to 15yds.

The rental has fairly slick wooden grips and only had the flush fit 6 round magazine. Even so, it behaved very well. Zero issues.

There are several different versions, or at least there were when I bought mine. I prefer the extended magazine, but I can see where others may prefer the flush fit magazine.

The only negative that I've encountered to date is when carrying a spare extend magazine (either in belt holder or pocket magazine carrier). The problem was discovered at the range. I ran through the carry ammo that had been in the gun for several months. Ejected magazine and tried to slide the spare in. It took a small amount of fumbling because the pinky extension has worked it's way up the body of the magazine and initially prevented it from seating in the gun.

The workaround here for me is to ether carry a flush fit 6 rounds spare....or just seat it more forcefully.

This is the only issue I've had.

Good luck, man.

Not a thing in the world wrong with the .380 model in your original post, nor the .380 P238. I sorta figured I'd be going with the .380 version myself.....until I tried the 9mm version. It's handy for me because of the ammo availability and I shoot this gun every time I go to the range.

B. White

Hardly know its there.

Everyone says they shoot great. It is listed as a 7.5 lb trigger. Does it fill this heavy compared to the lighter 1911 triggers?