Question on out of state hunt

rance56

If you had two weeks to hunt out of state. Would you concentrate on one State, or would you go to two different states in hoping to score on two bucks but risk spreading your time too thin in both places.

Jim Boyd

I personally would concentrate on one state which is what I have done for the last several years in Illinois.

I do have 4 Iowa points and am watching for a great opportunity. If and when that happens I will hunt one week in each state, Iowa and Illinois.

FWIW, I will tell you this - two weeks of daylight to dark is hard to pull off. I see a lot of folks succumb to fatigue and in fact, have been affected by it myself.

Good luck with your decision.

kevincox

Depends. I'd likely pick one state and have a backup plan to go somewhere else if I were to tag a buck early in the primary state.

Rich M

What matters most to you? 1 big buck or 2 bucks?

If you are good enough, then do 2 states, otherwise I believe most guys would have trouble traveling and taking a good mature buck in a week.

shdw633

One state, one good buck. After the licenses, hotel fees, gas, food, etc, etc I wouldn't be able to afford two mounts!!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Run into this issue every year. Sometimes it works out for us to kill bucks in several states and other times we are kicking ourselves for leaving a hot spot or a spot that hasnt started up yet to get somewhere else.

Always best (if you can) to have a 2nd place though...otherwise your 2 weeks could end on day 1 with a good buck and then you go home

Unicoidawg

Staff member
One state, one good buck. After the licenses, hotel fees, gas, food, etc, etc I wouldn't be able to afford two mounts!!

This ^^^^ one state is all I can afford. My wife is very understanding and doesn't say anything about my hunting trips (usually one deer, one turkey per year). That being said if I started piling on multiple states she would probably have a issue. She used to go with me to Ohio and WV, but having a kid puts a clamp on that.

livetohunt

Their are a lot of variables in your question such as do you own land, lease it, go with an outfitter? If I was going with an outfitter I would try 2 states if you can afford it. Otherwise staying in 1 state may be the best option. I would have 2-3 leases to hunt for a 2 week hunt though. You can burn a farm out very quickly with hunting pressure and 2 weeks on the same small farm could be too much pressure. I see guys come up to Illinois every year and the first thing they do is scout the small farm and hang stands. Huge mistake..They burn it out the first day. After a couple of days, they are always saying we aren't seeing any deer.

Jim Boyd

With the one state / one hunt concept, too, it helps if the farm is in multiple “blocks” that can be accessed almost like individual farms.

Having more than one farm is most excellent also.

Having both of these - is better yet!

:clap:

Cwb19

If you check some states have a 2 buck limit you would have to buy extra tag but that might be cheaper than the travel expences