Worms in deer meat?

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
I was gonna say the same thing, big Amberjacks are usually notorious for having worms....have any of yall ever seen a fly larvae come out of a deers nasal cavity, every deer we did a necropsy on in school had these larvae in their nasal cavity, they were about the size of your thumb, similar to a wolve but not from a bot fly if I remember right

Yeah, those are nasal bot fly larvae (Cephenemyia spp.). Ugly as sin, but harmless to humans.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
weenie:bounce:

After you cook the meat they die. Fish have worms, I guarantee everyone on here has eaten worms in flesh at some point.

Oh, yeah...lots of them.

Allen Hamilton

I've killed ducks before that had worms in the breast meat. It looked like little grains of white rice. Supposedly the worms were harmless to people, but I wasn't trying it out.

JBowers

Parelaphostrongylus
a genus in the worm family Protostrongylidae.
<HR class=hmshort align=left>Parelaphostrongylus andersoni found in the musculature, especially in the longissimus dorsi, in white-tailed deer.

Parelaphostrongylus odocoilei found in connective tissue around blood vessels and lymphatics of musculature below the vertebral column, abdomen and proximal parts of the limbs in mule and black-tailed deer and in moose.

Parelaphostrongylus tenuis (syn. Pneumostrongylus tenuis, Odocoileostrongylus tenuis, Elaphostrongylus tenuis, Neurofilaria cornelliensis) found in the cranial venous sinuses of white-tailed deer but is nonpathogenic in this species. Infection also occurs in moose, elk, caribou, red deer, black-tailed deer, llama, sheep and goat. In these species the migrating larvae cause serious damage in the spinal cord and posterior paralysis, often in a number of animals at the one time. Called also moose sickness.
Some infected goats also develop a local, linear dermatosis over the shoulders, thorax and flanks, believed to be caused by migrating P. tenuis larvae irritating nerve roots which leads to pruritus and self-trauma along dermatomes.

<SCRIPT>vet()</SCRIPT>Saunders Comprehensive Veterinary Dictionary, 3 ed. © 2007 Elsevier, Inc. All rights reserved

Parelaphostrongylus andersoni is probably what was in the deer you harvested.

There are no known human health implications. Deer, like other wildlife, are susceptible to a variety of internal parasites as well as bacterial and viral maladies. It should come as no surprise that we have all likely consumed meat with such biological material included. Not too mention, what we have been exposed to in the process of cleaning our deer.

Personally, I would have kept the meat; however, that is a personal decision.

Some more information below:

Parelaphostrongylus tenuis, the meningeal worm, occurs in almost 100% of wild white-tailed deer in eastern North America. For unknown reasons, its distribution excludes the southern portion of the US southeastern coastal states and FL. (Fig.2). The parasite has been reported as far west in Canada as northeastern SK and westward in the US to a line running south-east from the SK-MB border to north-eastern TX. Extension further west is believed to have been prevented by the dry central plains. Once beyond the plains, suitable gastropods and a flourishing white-tail population exist and there is no reason to think that P. tenuis could not become established in western North America, if it were introduced. The west also has valued populations of other native cervids, most of which are susceptible to parelaphostrongylosis.

<TABLE width="80%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>
deer_map.jpg
</TD><!--width="330" HEIGHT="310"--><TD>Fig. 2: Note - Both E. rangifer and P. andersoni occur in NF.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>In its normal host, the white-tailed deer, P. tenuis causes no noticeable disease. However, in most other native cervids and in several bovids and camelids, development in the CNS results in conspicuous neurologic signs ranging from lameness, fearlessness, depression and weight loss to severe motor and sensory impairment (paresis, ataxia, stumbling, circling, blindness). All hosts are not equally susceptible to parelaphostrongylosis and severity of the disease is dose dependent. Among native cervids, caribou and mule deer are likely to show the most severe signs, followed by moose and then elk/wapiti. Impact of this parasite on moose and elk populations in eastern N. America has been difficult to quantify. Nonetheless, it is clear that as deer numbers increase, moose decline and this parasite is a contributing factor. Wapiti develop neurologic disease but a few introduced populations persist on deer range in the east. Of great concern are ranched elk that may survive infection and be a source of dsl. However, the greatest risk of spreading P. tenuis westward is presented by white-tails, an increasingly popular species in the game ranching industry.
Parelaphostrongylus andersoni and P. odocoilei are muscle worms and do not enter the CNS of their hosts. Hence, they cause no neurologic disease. Both, however, produce large numbers of eggs that hatch as larvae in the lungs, inducing an intense pneumonia. The impact of P. andersoni infectionwill be greatestin the young animals that can pass large numbers of larvae. Older animals seem to develop a resistance and may eventually overcome the infection. P. odocoilei, however, maintains high larval output in young and old animals. These worms apparently are long-lived.
P. andersoni was first found in white-tailed deer of the southeastern US (where P. tenuis is absent). It's distribution in this host beyond the southeast is spotty (NJ, MI, WY and southeastern BC) but probably is incompletely known. It is much more widespread in woodland and barrenground caribou, having been found in this host from NF to northern AK. P. odocoilei is strictly a western parasite, occurring in mule deer of CA, southern BC and west-central AB. It is also found in black-tailed deer of the Pacific coast from CA into BC, including Vancouver island. This parasite also infects woodland caribou in west-central AB and has been implicated as a possible cause of death in mountain goats. It has recently been discovered in Dall's sheep in the NT by Dr. S. Kutz and colleagues (U. of Sask.).

JBowers

I've killed ducks before that had worms in the breast meat. It looked like little grains of white rice. Supposedly the worms were harmless to people, but I wasn't trying it out.

Sarcosporidiosis - aka "rice breast"

This is a disease caused by protozoan parasites of the genus Sarcocystis. Generally, not considered detrimental to waterfowl. Thorough cooking of the meat renders the meat fit for human consumption.

I have killed a few waterfowl with rice breast. I cooked and ate the meat with no problems. Again, this is a personal choice.

I guess in the end, it comes down to this - ignorance is bliss! Everything is fine until we see it and become aware!

JBowers

weenie:bounce:

After you cook the meat they die. Fish have worms, I guarantee everyone on here has eaten worms in flesh at some point.

I'll second that!

Probably have eaten them (worms and catepillars) in spinach and/or collards as well, unbeknownst. It is just easier to do it when you don't see them!

C

Cane_Creek

I've killed a couple deer with worms on the outer gut/stomach. I couldn't eat it grossed me out.... Now everytime I clean a deer I try to not even look for them.

blackbear

Scroll down and look at the ...setaria Yehi-abdominal worm,,,its long and white & thin,I have seen this worm inside GEORGIA deer before and is common in overpopulated deer herds....Hope this helps & good Luck! You know there eggs are in the meat.....?Best to cook all wild game well done for sure....

JBowers

I've killed a couple deer with worms on the outer gut/stomach. I couldn't eat it grossed me out.... Now everytime I clean a deer I try to not even look for them.

All deer have those. They do not occur in the muscle tissue, or meat.

Gentlemen, this is indicative of green meat - organically grown and fed by the Lord with no additives, perservatives, manufactured hormones, or pesticides. It is good for the body and soul. Of course, some now unnecessarily adulterate that meat.

Hunters were the first to enter the organic meat consumption market.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
I can't be;ieve all these "outdoorsmen" are freaking out over worms in their WILD game...geez....if you knew how many bugs were ground up in your breakfast cereal you would eat the deer meat RAW.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
Sometimes I do eat it raw. I never cook it more than medium rare. If it has Parelaphostrongyloids in it, I just throw it in th epile to be ground into hamburger (which I DON'T eat raw or rare, mostly due to the (very slight) risk of E. coli contamination.

Eating these particular worms in your meat is not going to cause you any problems. The ova and larvae for most parasites are typically found in the gut or lungs (depending upon the species). You really need to ingest the eggs or larvae to become infested with most parasites. Some other parasite species, such as certain tapeworm species, can be VERY dangerous if larvae or eggs are ingested (causing a sort of confused lifecycle because of skipping an intermediate host or being introduced into the wrong intermediate host at a larval stage) and they can encyst in the brain or muscle tissue causing big problems.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Sometimes I do eat it raw. I never cook it more than medium rare. If it has Parelaphostrongyloids in it, I just throw it in th epile to be ground into hamburger (which I DON'T eat raw or rare, mostly due to the (very slight) risk of E. coli contamination.

Eating these particular worms in your meat is not going to cause you any problems. The ova and larvae for most parasites are typically found in the gut or lungs (depending upon the species). You really need to ingest the eggs or larvae to become infested with most parasites. Some other parasite species, such as certain tapeworm species, can be VERY dangerous if larvae or eggs are ingested (causing a sort of confused lifecycle because of skipping an intermediate host or being introduced into the wrong intermediate host at a larval stage) and they can encyst in the brain or muscle tissue causing big problems.

Ones in raccoons are very dangerous.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
Ones in raccoons are very dangerous.

Oh, yeah....there is a zoonotic ascarid (roundworm) that is very common in raccons and I believe certain species of rats if memory serves. When it infects a host other than a racoon, it can cause VLM, OLM or NLM.

The same sort of abnormal larval migration is also sometimes caused by toxiocaris larvae ingestion from those species that are found in the gut of cats and dogs.

Those conditions are very rare....typically the parasite stays in the gut....but when it does occur it is very serious, even deadly....and there no treatment or cure.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Oh, yeah....there is a zoonotic ascarid (roundworm) that is very common in raccons and I believe certain species of rats if memory serves. When it infects a host other than a racoon, it can cause VLM, OLM or NLM.

The same sort of abnormal larval migration is also sometimes caused by toxiocaris larvae ingestion from those species that are found in the gut of cats and dogs.

Those conditions are very rare....typically the parasite stays in the gut....but when it does occur it is very serious, even deadly....and there no treatment or cure.
Migration to human brain outside of intended host:hair::hair::hair:

hunter_58

LOL PLEASE somebody delete this thread !!!!

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
bump...

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
:rofl:

So....what's the next subject in our little parasitology course? The noctournal habits of pinworms? Removal of human botfly larvae? Preparing a fecal float...or a slide for a smear?

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
:rofl:

So....what's the next subject in our little parasitology course? The noctournal habits of pinworms? Removal of human botfly larvae? Preparing a fecal float...or a slide for a smear?

That will get everyone's attention:hair::hair: