Kel-tec pistols any good?

Swede

Yes it's legal.

Weagle

:huh: Maybe I am wrong

OCGA 16-11-126 wrote:
and the pistol, revolver, or firearm may only be carried in a shoulder holster, waist belt holster, any other holster, hipgrip, or any other similar device

Hip grip maybe?

Big Mike

Has anyone who owns a Kel-tec pistol actually put a high volume of rounds through them? I am wondering how well they hold up to a high round count. The guys I know who own these rarely shoot them and I don't know anyone who has put more than 200-300 rounds through them.

Mark

Someone I work with has carried a P11 as a duty backup for five or six years. He has more than 3000 rounds through his and has had no problems.

weagle

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126
(c) This Code section shall not permit, outside of his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business, the concealed carrying of a pistol, revolver, or concealable firearm by any person unless that person has on his or her person a valid license issued under Code Section 16-11-129 and the pistol, revolver, or firearm may only be carried in a shoulder holster, waist belt holster, any other holster, hipgrip, or any other similar device, in which event the weapon may be concealed by the person's clothing, or a handbag, purse, attache case, briefcase, or other closed container. Carrying on the person in a concealed manner other than as provided in this subsection shall not be permitted and shall be a violation of this Code section.

I feel confident that the clip is legal, but I'm certainly no lawyer.

Weagle

Swede

Look up Weagle^^^

DYI hunting

I feel confident that the clip is legal, but I'm certainly no lawyer.
Weagle

Interesting, I have to look into this more. I always thought they were illegal in GA, but looking at the regs, maybe they are not? I like the pocket-clip and would like that option to carry if legal.

Jesset289

I carry one everyday. Either the P-11 or the 32. They fire everytime and you dont have to worry about beating them up.

Jesset289

Interesting, I have to look into this more. I always thought they were illegal in GA, but looking at the regs, maybe they are not? I like the pocket-clip and would like that option to carry if legal.

From what i was told the pocket clip is legal. I use one on my 32 and love it. I just keep it cliped on my belt all day and you cant even tell that you are carrying.

georgia357

I have the 32 cal. and like it very much. It functions flawlessly and is very easy to conceal.
It does have a long trigger pull but I think this is a good thing in a high stress situation.

Same here. Only thing I don't like about mine is the very sharp report when fired. It's the only gun I shoot that actually hurts my ears. I also cut a short length of bicycle tube and put it over the grip, works great.

RepeatDefender

I had a P3AT and it was a great gun. But since, I have sold it and switched to the PF-9. It is just as easy for me to carry (sure it weighs a bit more and is a bit larger). The biggest benefit is the greater selection in 9mm defense loads.

Sterlo58

Thumbs up.

My Kel Tec 9mm does what I bought it for. It goes bang every time, It is ultra thin, inexpensive and can be carried in a pocket holster with little or no imprint. It is perfect to carry when concealment is prudent. It is loud and after a session of target practice your hand feels it. It is pretty accurate.

BookHound

The clip is perfectly legal in GA. Is it the safest way to carry though? Probably not, IMHO.

BookHound

Someone I work with has carried a P11 as a duty backup for five or six years. He has more than 3000 rounds through his and has had no problems.

Thanks, Mike. That is the first time I've ever heard of one with that high of a round count.

BookHound

In high stress situations I do not want that 2 lb no creep trigger.

Interesting. Just curious, but how often do you train with your carry weapons? How do you define "training?"

My question is how many times do you want to shoot a gun like the 380.

I won't carry a firearm unless I've put a minimum of a couple hundred training rounds (typically FMJ) through it and at least 50 rounds of whatever ammo I intend to carry. If I have any issues during that firing schedule I increase the total round count until I have 100% confidence in the weapon system. I train with my carry weapons regularly including dry fire practice of some sort every night. I admit I'm on the extreme end of the spectrum, but if I am betting my life on the weapon it needs to be 100% reliable and I need to be as proficient as possible with it. Just my thoughts. :)

fishndinty

We use a Mossy 500 as our home defense gun, and the wife and I can both get from our place on the bed to the weapon, cock it, and have it ready to fire in under a second, blindfolded! :)

Luke_M

Like Bookhound, I probably go to the extreme with my training. I prefer the 1911, it has served me well. This past Sunday, I put a Officer Model Slide kit on a full size frame for kits. As it turns out, I like, it has a full size frame, which is what I am used to and the 3.5 Colt Officer's Model Slide Kit for conceal. I put 300 rounds through it to test for function, and it passed with "0" issues. Monday I ordered a matched hammer and sear, long trigger, extended safety and slide release. I will put another 500 to 1000 round through it, before she becomes my carry weapon.

If she makes the carry weapon list, then I will swap between it and my current Springfield carry gun. The only exception to this rule is the J frame that is not being carried on my ankle when I happend to be in a situation where the 1911 can't be carried.

Luke

DYI hunting

I think the Kel-tec will serve the purpose. Since my daily driver is a Harley, I wanted something ultra small that will not print. Now if I can just sell the spare AR or AR lower to get the funds...

Handgunner

I would rather spend the money on a high quality S&W J-Frame pistol like a model 638, 642 or 442....

JHMO.
That's what I hope to be getting the wife for concealed carry... the 642.

As for the Kel-tec's.. for the money they are lightweight, reliable and reasonably accurate. I've shot two different ones without a hitch... I've shot the .32 and the .380.

Personally, I'd rather have an air-weight revolver for concealed carry, but wouldn't feel too handicapped with a kel-tec...

njanear

In regards to the clip question, have you ever seen a Hipgrip as specifically listed in the regulations? If not, go here to see one:

http://www.baramihipgrip.com/

What you will find is a revolver grip with a protrusion that acts like a clip on the belt - it isn't a holster. Thus the KT pocket clip is a "Other similar device".

I carry a KT P32 in my pocket when I just don't have enough room to stuff my Glock G27 in there. :)

Nitro

Banned
DYI, I would wager that the stock trigger on a J frame is way better than any of the KelTecs I have fired. They are horrible.

We bought two KelTec 32s a few years back in hopes that they would last. Both were out of commission in 140+ and 200+ or so rounds each......I consider them junk, but that's just MY EXPERIENCE.

You can have a trigger job done on a J frame to improve them as desired....... with a Kel Tec, you are stuck.

I will default to the position I always go to- how much is your life worth???? Mine is worth more than a couple hundred dollars.

As to concealment- most often it's clothing and a proper holster and the issue is moot. Get a pocket holster and anyone can make a J Frame disappear.

I was looking for a small pistol for my Daughter after her recent Home Invasion experience ( keep in mind, for my Daughter's safety money is no object) we fired a bunch of my pistols and some rentals....... we settled on a S&W Centennial Model 432 in .32 H&R Magnum- the most accurate, powerful round that she could control and shoot with deadly precision.

I wouldn't carry a Kel Tec if MY life depended on it.............

7MAGMIKE

I have an old AMT .380 Auto I picked up at a gun show some years back good shooting little piece, very conceilable. My wife loves it fits her perfectly.