Motorcyclist killed in Lumpkin County Sunday afternoon.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Yes, as I stated before, it is sad for her family that she had to lose her life. Now, for you that live south of the gnat line and don't have a clue what Blood Mountain is in relationship to this incident and discussion. The crotch rocket riders think it is their own personal race track, hogging both lanes, crossing the double yellow and pretending that they are on the Audubon and there is no speed limit. Why must the individual attempt to single handedly prove Darwin right? Imagine if car owners treated this stretch of road in the same manner?

Here is just one example:

Backlasher82

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
In your mind, running off the side of the road, over correcting and being hit by a car somehow proves that the 44 year old woman was riding dangerously? Pretty big stretch there Armstrong.
Yes, I'm sure she was only doing 35 and slightly bumped into the focus, thus the massive amount of damage to the car. :rolleyes: You live up that way, do you come out of your vacuum much?

hunter rich

I have friend who rides a crotch rocket, mention Blood mnt and his eyes glaze over and he starts drooling...Well, it used to, now he has kids and gets his adrenalin rush from mudding ...

merc123

No I don't. I have stopped before...and usually the "group panic" is running rampant and it is very hard to convince those people of any logic.

Speaking of TV...I guess with every car exploding after a wreck has made everyone think that they have to drag the victim a safe distance.

Everybody should learn CPR...in that they'll teach opening the airway. With that...you'll have the exact same tools I would have when I'm passing by.

There is a difference in knowing what to do and taking charge of a situation with leadership. Do you know what is really sad is a car turned upside down in the ditch of I-75 and folks standing around outside, with the guy bleeding inside, not knowing what to do. Did I know how to treat the guy? Not really but I assessed the situation and crawled in the window of the car and talked to him. I asked him questions about pain and checked his eyes and pupils since he had a large gash on his head. He wanted to get out of the car, understandably, and I let him. Did you know even with copious amounts of blood he had coming out of his head I didn't get any on me? But you know what, in that time he was calm. He was in a panic trying to get out until I talked to him and calmed him down. When he was getting out I directed him where to move what so he wouldn't get cut on glass.

So maybe if someone did learn CPR they could open their airway and do what you do, however, it takes a leader to assess the situation and stop the panic. Did I mention that CPR wouldn't have helped the guy in the upside down car? He was breathing just fine. He was just scared...didn't know they taught how to unscare someone in CPR class.

You know, 99.9% of the people who read what you posted just shook their head and thought the exact same thing about you that I did. No need to even say it out loud.
I'm the .1%... What he said was a cold, hard truth and Miguel Cervantes backs it up. I have 0 sympathy for a fool that thinks that Blood mountain is a race track. I've been there and done it in a car. It's a "fun" drive but if you lose control of your vehicle and die due to your own possible negligence, I feel no sympathy for _YOU_. I feel sorry for your family, but as an adult you make your own decisions. If she really was acting in a responsible manner, it is a tragedy and nothing could have been done to prevent it.

In your mind, running off the side of the road, over correcting and being hit by a car somehow proves that the 44 year old woman was riding dangerously? Pretty big stretch there Armstrong.

I am only speculating that the damage was caused by the motorcyclist, but it takes quite a bit of force to knock a front wheel off a car. If I remember the speed limit on that road is between 35 and 45 MPH.

John2

I came on that wreck just seconds after it happened. 3rd car in line. The bike was in boggs creek 60 yards from the body. Very sad. Saw a few crotch rockets driving a little crazy coming down the mountain that day.

Backlasher82

Yes, I'm sure she was only doing 35 and slightly bumped into the focus, thus the massive amount of damage to the car. :rolleyes: You live up that way, do you come out of your vacuum much?

Yeah, I get around some. I see people on sport bikes, cruisers, touring bikes and cars driving along looking at the scenery. Some times they run off the road, some times they over correct and sometimes they crash. I don't wish for any of them to become greasy spots on the road, that would make me as big a you-know-what as some others on here.:rolleyes:

Backlasher82

I am only speculating that the damage was caused by the motorcyclist, but it takes quite a bit of force to knock a front wheel off a car. If I remember the speed limit on that road is between 35 and 45 MPH.

Yeah, there seems to be quite a lot of speculation by people with no facts to back them up. I would think somebody that has been around cars could see how an impact on the side of a wheel could break it. I know I've seen it happen.:huh:

toyota4x4h

I run blood in my stang all the time. Very fun road and its pretty close to me. So does the same thoughts some have here go for the car enthusiast on that road?

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Unfortunately this is a common thing up here. I feel sorry for the family and really hate that it happened. That being said these folks come up here and treat the area roads like race tracks and act suprised when something like this happens. Being in the business you do become jaded to an extent, but I still feel for the folks. The locals HATE the "weekend" warriors that take over and act like idiots. ( Note the majority of these folks behave and don't cause any issues.) It's not just the motorcycles, you have the bicycles and the the sports car nuts who have a % the act a fool. Not only does it make a common trip to town a little more dangerous it taxes the local EMS services. We don't have Med units all of the place like Atlanta and other metro areas. We have 3 here in White Co and Lumpkin and Union are in the same boat. The services will do their jobs and do them well, but is it really fair that a citizen that has lived in an area thier entire life and paid taxes on those services has to wait for life saving treatment because some weekend warrior acts a fool. You see it's not that people are cold hearted or anything, it's that we see it a bunch and folks get tired of it. Again I hate it happened and happens, no one deserves to die like that, but if you keep playing with fire while holding a gas can someone is gonna get burnt.

sinclair1

Unfortunately this is a common thing up here. I feel sorry for the family and really hate that it happened. That being said these folks come up here and treat the area roads like race tracks and act suprised when something like this happens. Being in the business you do become jaded to an extent, but I still feel for the folks. The locals HATE the "weekend" warriors that take over and act like idiots. ( Note the majority of these folks behave and don't cause any issues.) It's not just the motorcycles, you have the bicycles and the the sports car nuts who have a % the act a fool. Not only does it make a common trip to town a little more dangerous it taxes the local EMS services. We don't have Med units all of the place like Atlanta and other metro areas. We have 3 here in White Co and Lumpkin and Union are in the same boat. The services will do their jobs and do them well, but is it really fair that a citizen that has lived in an area thier entire life and paid taxes on those services has to wait for life saving treatment because some weekend warrior acts a fool. You see it's not that people are cold hearted or anything, it's that we see it a bunch and folks get tired of it. Again I hate it happened and happens, no one deserves to die like that, but if you keep playing with fire while holding a gas can someone is gonna get burnt.
I feel about the same as you. I like to drive fast, but that area makes it too hard to do it without endangering others, so I don't.
I came around a corner once and some crazy local was pouring detergent on a curve:banginghe

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Well said unicoi, I really feel bad for the person behind the wheel of the focus, they probably won't sleep right for a while.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I feel about the same as you. I like to drive fast, but that area makes it too hard to do it without endangering others, so I don't.
I came around a corner once and some crazy local was pouring detergent on a curve:banginghe

There`s a special place reserved for those who purposely set a death trap for folks.

Just Jeff

That was a bad situation Sunday, Came upon it when emergency was arriving, As I was sitting there, the people she appeared to be riding with must have realize she wasn't with the group anymore and they turned around, you could tell they were devastated. It was also sad how many people left their vehicles to walk a long way just to see what happened, I saw a couple of maybe 14 y/o girls walking by themselves to take a look. I was hit by a bike at the top of Blood Mountain a couple of years ago, It totaled my F150, Husband and Wife were life flighted. It has really turned into a dreaded ride every time my Wife and I come home from B'ville. I was thinking that they should post a sign announcing the number of fatalities on that road, I'll bet there are 10-15 crosses between Turners Corner and Sunrise Grocery.

sinclair1

That was a bad situation Sunday, Came upon it when emergency was arriving, As I was sitting there, the people she appeared to be riding with must have realize she wasn't with the group anymore and they turned around, you could tell they were devastated. It was also sad how many people left their vehicles to walk a long way just to see what happened, I saw a couple of maybe 14 y/o girls walking by themselves to take a look. I was hit by a bike at the top of Blood Mountain a couple of years ago, It totaled my F150, Husband and Wife were life flighted. It has really turned into a dreaded ride every time my Wife and I come home from B'ville. I was thinking that they should post a sign announcing the number of fatalities on that road, I'll bet there are 10-15 crosses between Turners Corner and Sunrise Grocery.
This is what causes most of the riding accidents, when the weakest rider is trying to try and keep up with the faster ones. I have been in that spot and just gave up and let them go.

PappyHoel

Happens every weekend up there. This isn't something new. I have known no less than 8 people that have been killed on motorcycles. My friends mom and dad were both killed same day up there about 6 yrs ago. I will never get on a motorcycle and I'm not sure why people do?

This is too ironical for words.

LaShawn Allen
Marietta, GA
February 11, 2013
Introduction

Hello, My name is LaShawn and I moved to Georgia in 2011. I have a passion for riding and I am in an organization called the Ruff Ryders and been in this organization since 2007. I love meeting people. I am very friendly and outgoing
What kind of bike do you own?

I have a Suzuki 750
How long have you been riding?

I have been riding for 8 years, but have not been riding that much since the end of 2011 due to me seeing a close friend of mine laying on the highway dead because a car hit him. I am trying to build my confidence back up.

What are you riding interest? ie, highway, twisties, backroades, etc.

Use to be highways but now backroads

http://www.meetup.com/Metro-Atlanta-Motorcycles/members/79562382/

toyota4x4h

Thousands more die every morning on the way to work just driving. Lightning keeps killing ppl as do storms and terrorist and anything else. It's called life..so go live it. Have some fun if your idea of it is zippin around a mountain pass on a bike or a car or just sittin in a boat all to yourself fishing. Point is who cares what other ppl do.

hunter rich

Thousands more die every morning on the way to work just driving. Lightning keeps killing ppl as do storms and terrorist and anything else. It's called life..so go live it. Have some fun if your idea of it is zippin around a mountain pass on a bike or a car or just sittin in a boat all to yourself fishing. Point is who cares what other ppl do.
:crazy:

Thats all well and good until them "zippin around a mountain pass" causes them to lose control and slam into a car killing people who were on their way home or to the store or just out enjoying life...

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
This is too ironical for words.
LaShawn Allen
Marietta, GA
February 11, 2013
Introduction

Hello, My name is LaShawn and I moved to Georgia in 2011. I have a passion for riding and I am in an organization called the Ruff Ryders and been in this organization since 2007. I love meeting people. I am very friendly and outgoing
What kind of bike do you own?

I have a Suzuki 750
How long have you been riding?

I have been riding for 8 years, but have not been riding that much since the end of 2011 due to me seeing a close friend of mine laying on the highway dead because a car hit him. I am trying to build my confidence back up.

What are you riding interest? ie, highway, twisties, backroades, etc.

Use to be highways but now backroads

http://www.meetup.com/Metro-Atlanta-Motorcycles/members/79562382/

wow :(