Pygmy Rattler?

panfish

I'm not sure but is this a pygmy rattler, I found it crossing the road in Putnam County. I got out and put it in the woods so that nobody would hit it. It was about a foot long, and the tip of the tail about one inch was black.
94981220.jpg

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
Maybe a baby timber rattler? Look at the head on that rascal...

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
That is a juvenile Timber Rattlesnake (canebrake phase). It is a much more dangerous bite than a Pigmy Rattlesnake.

fulldraw74

Are there Pygmies up here? Used to see them all over in Fla.

Caught one in Elberton a few years ago. I wasn't sure it was a pygmy so i called a local guy to does the snake demonstrations in schools and such. He came and picked it up and verified thats what it was. He said they are not too uncommon around here but that was a first for me....

dick7.62

Caught one in Elberton a few years ago. I wasn't sure it was a pygmy so i called a local guy to does the snake demonstrations in schools and such. He came and picked it up and verified thats what it was. He said they are not too uncommon around here but that was a first for me....

Strange coincidence about Elberton. Just tonight on facebook I saw that a friend of ours son was bitten today by a pygmy rattlesnake at Elberton. He was OK but was in the hospital.

Todd E

As stated, that is not a Pygmy.

One was caught on our Oglethorpe County lease several years ago.