Lyman Great Plains rifle

tullisfireball

I bought a Lyman GP rifle yesterday, it is in near perfect condition... except that someone thought it needed to be drilled and tapped for a scope.
Is there anything I can do to fill the holes?

I'm not too mad about it since it got me a great price on it and I bought it to be a shooter, but I would like to fix them if possible.

leoparddog

A local gunsmith will have plug screws or you can order them from Brownells.

Darkhorse

I would use the plug screws so I could keep those threaded holes. One day your eyes are going to start ageing and that rear sight will become really blurry. That's when you can appreciate putting some kind of optic on your GPR.

rosewood

Check Ace. I noticed my local Ace hardware now has a couple of boxes of gun screws in their bolt section. They have screws for scope bases and plugs too. If they are standard scope threads they will be 6-48.

Rosewood

tullisfireball

I stopped by Bass Pro and they gave me some plug screws that were on the scope mounting bench. 2 of them fit, so I'll try again in a few days. I'm considering replacing the barrel since the gun is so close to mint condition. If I do I'll still be well under the value of the rifle so that's a huge option.